Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macman4291

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
Anyone have any recommendations...Im looking for a set up where I can have multiple speakers arround my apartment solely to play music (airplay, or blutooth)...not for home theatre or TV. Just for music....any suggestions

estrides

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2012
New York
Id like to know the same thing, so if anyone has any ideas, let us know! Id love to put speakers outside and inside wireless.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Anyone have any recommendations...Im looking for a set up where I can have multiple speakers arround my apartment solely to play music (airplay, or blutooth)...not for home theatre or TV. Just for music....any suggestions

If you are playing music you want stereo, not surround. Speaker placement in the room matters a LOT. For a start place the left and right speaker and you in an equilateral triangle. Now you know where the two speakers need to go,

Questions: Do you have AC power available at that location? If not you are sunk. OK, you have power. Buy an Apple "Airport Express" for about $80 either on-line or at Apple store. Plug it into the AC power.

Use the airport unity to connect it to your WiFi network. Plug stereo amp into the Express. Now the airport will show as an speaker option in iTunes.

Again, Suround is for movie sound tracks, stereo is for music

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
^^

This

DTS surround is not a recorded format on any music CD's I have ever come across...As posted, it is used in movie sound tracks and some TV programmes. That's why DTS systems have settings you can alter. My Onkyo has an "All Channel Stereo" Option, which uses all speakers but it's still stereo when playing music.

estrides

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2012
New York
Personally I meant surround sound in the sense that it can just surround me, not so much in a 5.1 speaker positioning system.

Are there are other options besides the Airport?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Personally I meant surround sound in the sense that it can just surround me, not so much in a 5.1 speaker positioning system.

Are there are other options besides the Airport?

Yes, but this is one time when Apple is less than half the price of the competition. I've sen some TV sets and audio equipment with some kind if WiFi receivers in them but then you nee to put some software on the Mac. to make it work

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Check out Sonos. That's where the next major product will originate IMO.
They can already do a Left and a Right set of speakers that work in excellent stereo plus, just announced, a Sub. All synched together wirelessly.
I have 6 of their stuff all synched together wirelessly so that I can hear the same audio anywhere as I move around in my 4 story house.

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
Have you considered using wireless headphones? The Sennheiser RS-180/RS-220 are great headphones. You should be able to plug them in with the AirPort Express.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.