Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
My family asked me to try and get pictures off of their old Dell which was running XP it got infected with a virus and no longer works. So I took out the hard drive and put it into an external body and hooked it up to my mac. Opened it in finder and started browsing through the file system. I found where their pictures folder was but there is only two pictures in the folder and it isn't showing any of the other folders (they grouped their pictures by months and years). So I open up my disk utility and notice that under this windows hard drive there is two parts and only one is mounted. I can't get the other to mount. So I figure what the hell and I plug the hard drive into my windows laptop and it won't even load the hard drive. So now I am going to try and find the power cable to this old dell and try booting it into safe mode and see what happens. Is there anything else that you guys think I should try?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.