Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:24 PM   #1
xgman
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Insult to Injury w/ ML

Apple must really hate the Mac Pro. They broke all the USB 3.0 pci card drivers. I'm sure they will update, but still . . . .
__________________
{2012 27imac-3.4i7-680mx-32gb ram-768SSD+External TB Samsung840pro ssd + TB velociraptors-UAD Apollo/Marantz/Amphion/Bowers&Wilkins Sound-Impulse 61}
{ipads}{iphones}{LG G3}
xgman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:40 PM   #2
ZZ Bottom
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Is it something they specifically targeted or were the PCI USB 3.0 kexts the problem? Are they perhaps 32-bit kexts? Were they functioning up until the most current ML update?

I'm sure as long as the hardware sellers are still offering the same PCI cards that there will be an update to restore functionality.
ZZ Bottom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:45 PM   #3
peabo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
My LaCie card is confirmed as broken in 10.8 as I detailed in this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1402117

As I said, it works again using those DP3 kexts, but that breaks other stuff such as my USB speakers.

Given all these troubles I'm thinking of just getting a Caldigit one to avoid waiting for a patch from LaCie and then from the hacking community to stop it blocking non-LaCie drives.
peabo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:48 PM   #4
deconstruct60
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post
Apple must really hate the Mac Pro. They broke all the USB 3.0 pci card drivers. I'm sure they will update, but still . . . .
Shouldn't Apple be supplying standard USB 3.0 xhci drivers at this point? If Apple is going to have USB 3.0 standard on new Macs going forward they should be taking over the standard core USB 3.0 infrastructure.

This is was somewhat inventivable when they left a vacuum that for a core OS role. Some similar hiccups will probably pop up in Windows 8 as Microsoft assumes their core role there too finally.
deconstruct60 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:03 AM   #5
VirtualRain
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by deconstruct60 View Post
Shouldn't Apple be supplying standard USB 3.0 xhci drivers at this point? If Apple is going to have USB 3.0 standard on new Macs going forward they should be taking over the standard core USB 3.0 infrastructure.

This is was somewhat inventivable when they left a vacuum that for a core OS role. Some similar hiccups will probably pop up in Windows 8 as Microsoft assumes their core role there too finally.
USB 3.0 on the Ivy Bridge Macs comes from Intels chipsets while all the third party USB cards use NEC chips. Apple is unlikely to ever offer driver support for the latter.
__________________
tools: nMP for photography, rMBP for working, iPad for surfing, iPhone for communicating, Mac Mini for entertaining
Canon tools: 5D Mark III 24-105L/70-300L/35L/50L/85L for capturing
VirtualRain is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:11 AM   #6
xgman
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
I just hope they don't purposely block usb 3 3rd party here. That would really really suck. They obvioulsy changed something since the DP's. In the mean time no usb 3 drives for me till someone writes drivers. Caldigit is usually pretty quick. I'm not sure about Highpoint. I have both cards, so whichever is done first. They will probably say . . "but ML isn't released yet"
__________________
{2012 27imac-3.4i7-680mx-32gb ram-768SSD+External TB Samsung840pro ssd + TB velociraptors-UAD Apollo/Marantz/Amphion/Bowers&Wilkins Sound-Impulse 61}
{ipads}{iphones}{LG G3}

Last edited by xgman; Jul 12, 2012 at 10:16 AM.
xgman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:17 AM   #7
whooleytoo
macrumors 603
 
whooleytoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Cork, Ireland.
Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post
I just hope they don't purposely block usb 3 3rd party here. That would really really suck. In the mean time no usb 3 drives for me till someone writes drivers. Caldigit is usually pretty quick. I'm not sure about Highpoint. I have both cards, so whichever is done first. They will probably say . . "but ML isn't released yet"
Well, that might be a reasonable response from them. This might just be a bug in 10.8 that will be fixed in a future build; in which case there would be nothing for those card vendors to fix.
__________________
Mac <- Macintosh <- McIntosh apples <- John McIntosh <- McIntosh surname <- "Mac an toshach" <- "Son of the Chief"
whooleytoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:52 AM   #8
peabo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
As a temporary solution, anyone who wants the DP3 kexts is welcome to PM me, or if I'm allowed, I'll just post a link here. I don't think DP3 is available on Apple's developer page anymore. Using these may cause other USB things to stop working though so make sure you keep a backup of the current ones.
peabo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:45 PM   #9
xgman
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabo View Post
As a temporary solution, anyone who wants the DP3 kexts is welcome to PM me, or if I'm allowed, I'll just post a link here. I don't think DP3 is available on Apple's developer page anymore. Using these may cause other USB things to stop working though so make sure you keep a backup of the current ones.
Anyone still have DP4 for their kext files as above? Did those work with usb 3.0 cards? Probably the same as DP3 I guess.

----------

caldigit has a ML beta driver for their usb cards they just sent me. I'll try it later and see if it works on either card.
__________________
{2012 27imac-3.4i7-680mx-32gb ram-768SSD+External TB Samsung840pro ssd + TB velociraptors-UAD Apollo/Marantz/Amphion/Bowers&Wilkins Sound-Impulse 61}
{ipads}{iphones}{LG G3}
xgman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:26 PM   #10
deconstruct60
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualRain View Post
USB 3.0 on the Ivy Bridge Macs comes from Intels chipsets while all the third party USB cards use NEC chips. Apple is unlikely to ever offer driver support for the latter.
If Apple refreshes the Thunderbolt display what do you think is going to be in there? Intel USB chips. Nope.

This *is* a matter of Apple getting off their lazy butts. They are going to use more than one USB 3.0 controller if that are even remotely supporting moving to USB 3.0 on their products. Doing just the Intel and NEC/Renesas controller would give them extremely broad coverage with just doing two.
It isn't like they have to chase down every variant out there.
deconstruct60 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:49 PM   #11
xgman
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by deconstruct60 View Post
If Apple refreshes the Thunderbolt display what do you think is going to be in there? Intel USB chips. Nope.

This *is* a matter of Apple getting off their lazy butts. They are going to use more than one USB 3.0 controller if that are even remotely supporting moving to USB 3.0 on their products. Doing just the Intel and NEC/Renesas controller would give them extremely broad coverage with just doing two.
It isn't like they have to chase down every variant out there.
If it was working in the DP's then why do you think they changed the GM? Doesn't make sense unless it was inadvertent.
__________________
{2012 27imac-3.4i7-680mx-32gb ram-768SSD+External TB Samsung840pro ssd + TB velociraptors-UAD Apollo/Marantz/Amphion/Bowers&Wilkins Sound-Impulse 61}
{ipads}{iphones}{LG G3}
xgman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:56 PM   #12
MacVidCards
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hollywood, CA
 
don't be so sure this isn't intentional

Netkas & I were wondering why OpenCl was working in GM on a Quadro 4000 but not on a GTX570 with 2.5 GB.

Puzzle got even weirder when we discovered that the same GTX570 with 1.2 GB had OpenCl.

Netkas did some digging and found that Apple had added a little "surprise" in the form of a line of code that checks amount of VRAM.

Anything over 2GB gets chucked out and card is labeled as "not supported"

So once again, they didn't want aftermarket cards eclipsing their "official" products, and if it required a little knee-capping, well, I imagine same thing with your USB 3. Can't have those aftermarket products stealing the thunder from the 2013 Mac Pro when it brings USB 3 to the masses.

I wonder if they have a division just for this? The "Crippling Department" or something like that.
MacVidCards is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:19 PM   #13
xgman
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVidCards View Post
don't be so sure this isn't intentional
If it is, it is the meanest thing I have heard. First they say no new mac pro for at least 3 years and then sorry you pro pukes can't even use usb 3, so go get a macbook pro. That would be pretty low. The soup Nazi was nicer. At least you could come back for soup in ONE YEAR!
__________________
{2012 27imac-3.4i7-680mx-32gb ram-768SSD+External TB Samsung840pro ssd + TB velociraptors-UAD Apollo/Marantz/Amphion/Bowers&Wilkins Sound-Impulse 61}
{ipads}{iphones}{LG G3}
xgman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:22 PM   #14
peabo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
emailed Caldigit and they said they have a working beta driver for 10.8. Send them an e-mail and they'll give you a copy.
peabo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:53 PM   #15
xgman
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Loaded the caldigit beta and now the highpoint card works too, even though the kext files in the caldigit package were names caldigit something or other.kext. So caldigit comes through as usual with a quick fix. Props.
__________________
{2012 27imac-3.4i7-680mx-32gb ram-768SSD+External TB Samsung840pro ssd + TB velociraptors-UAD Apollo/Marantz/Amphion/Bowers&Wilkins Sound-Impulse 61}
{ipads}{iphones}{LG G3}
xgman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:57 PM   #16
xav8tor
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVidCards View Post
don't be so sure this isn't intentional


Netkas did some digging and found that Apple had added a little "surprise" in the form of a line of code that checks amount of VRAM.

Anything over 2GB gets chucked out and card is labeled as "not supported"
Does this mean the 4 GB GTX 670/680 cards will not work in ML but the 2 GB versions will?
xav8tor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2012, 05:02 PM   #17
goMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
The interesting thing is NVidia writes those drivers, so it's probably (but not %100) that the check came from NVidia themselves.
goMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:24 AM   #18
MacVidCards
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hollywood, CA
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xav8tor View Post
Does this mean the 4 GB GTX 670/680 cards will not work in ML but the 2 GB versions will?
I haven't tried with Kepler, just Fermi.

And keep in mind this is just OpenCl. Even without Netkas fix the over 2 GB cards work fine for other stuff, it is just OpenCl where they have been knee-capped.

But of course OpenCl is the juice behind FCPX.
MacVidCards is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:52 AM   #19
deconstruct60
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post
If it was working in the DP's then why do you think they changed the GM? Doesn't make sense unless it was inadvertent.
Notice how Apple introduced USB 3.0 Macs during that transition? The developer previews were likely not the fully build they had inside (where they were dropping ML onto USB 3.0 Macs and somewhat likely using updated TB docking stations with USB 3.0 that haven't shown up yet. )
deconstruct60 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:15 AM   #20
xav8tor
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVidCards View Post
I haven't tried with Kepler, just Fermi.

And keep in mind this is just OpenCl. Even without Netkas fix the over 2 GB cards work fine for other stuff, it is just OpenCl where they have been knee-capped.

But of course OpenCl is the juice behind FCPX.
Thanks. The app I need the graphics horsepower for is Open GL, not CL, and it eats VRAM like you wouldn't believe, so that's good news.
xav8tor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:46 AM   #21
xgman
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Well it is easily fixed via the caldigit drivers, so all seems good for now.
__________________
{2012 27imac-3.4i7-680mx-32gb ram-768SSD+External TB Samsung840pro ssd + TB velociraptors-UAD Apollo/Marantz/Amphion/Bowers&Wilkins Sound-Impulse 61}
{ipads}{iphones}{LG G3}
xgman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:34 AM   #22
peabo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post
Well it is easily fixed via the caldigit drivers, so all seems good for now.
I'm only getting about 50-60Mbps write speeds to a 7200rpm drive with the CalDigit beta drivers so it's not exactly ideal even though technically it works
peabo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:14 PM   #23
xav8tor
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post
Well it is easily fixed via the caldigit drivers, so all seems good for now.
Tried the Caldigit drivers with High Point 1022AM 2 port USB 3 card for Mac and it didn't work. Any ideas besides RMA the card or wait who knows how long for a driver update?
xav8tor is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Head injury for my Iphone 4s pravinmatino iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 2 Nov 8, 2013 03:24 AM
What exactly constitutes a personal insult? AppleScruff1 Site and Forum Feedback 35 Mar 9, 2013 07:16 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC