Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReddestDream

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
North Carolina
My 2010 15" MacBook Pro came with a Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB Hybrid Drive which I replaced with an SSD. I put the Seagate Momentus XT in a FireWire 800 enclosure to support the fastest port I had at the time.

Now that I have a Retina MacBook Pro, which has USB 3.0, I've started wondering: Would I get better performance out of the Seagate Momentus XT on the Retina MacBook Pro with a USB 3.0 enclosure? I use the drive for bootable backups with Carbon Copy Cloner, so speed is very important to me. :D

I'm still waiting for the ThunderBolt to FireWire 800 adapter anyway for my FireWire-only accessories and drives (Aren't we all? :rolleyes:).

I've heard that standard HDDs don't benefit much from USB 3.0 over FireWire 800, but I'm not so sure about Hybrid Drives. Would it be worth picking up a USB 3.0 enclosure for the Seagate Momentus XT now (~$30-60), or should I hold out for a Thunderbolt drive as the prices drop? Thanks! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.