Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleBoyFreak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Kentucky
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, today I am asking my very first question under the MacBook Pro thread. In roughly two months I will be getting my first Mac, the base model 13.3" MacBook Pro, for my 16th birthday and as an Apple fanboy I want to keep it in perfect condition for many years! With that said what is the best case or combination of cases and skins that will keep the MacBook Pro protected, but at the same time show off Apple's hard engineering work? Thank you very much and I am beyond ecstatic to be getting my first Mac! :apple:

AlexBass

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2012

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
Don't get that silicon keyboard cover crap. Get a MOSHI keyboard cover. It's much nicer and MUCH thinner.

AppleBoyFreak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Kentucky
Another quick noob question. If I ever decided to upgrade the ram myself would it void the warranty when I open it up? I know they have this rule for the iPhones, but wasnt sure about the MacBook Pros

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Another quick noob question. If I ever decided to upgrade the ram myself would it void the warranty when I open it up? I know they have this rule for the iPhones, but wasnt sure about the MacBook Pros
No, it doesn't.

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
London, England
There is no case that will make it look as good or anywhere near as good as it is... naked.
This. Just slip it into a sleeve before putting it in a bag if you want to avoid scratches. The cases and skins just look ugly. (And I also can't see the sense in keyboard covers, the keyboard is lovely to use and doesn't need anything more than one of those mini-vac things to keep clean.)

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
This. Just slip it into a sleeve before putting it in a bag if you want to avoid scratches. The cases and skins just look ugly. (And I also can't see the sense in keyboard covers, the keyboard is lovely to use and doesn't need anything more than one of those mini-vac things to keep clean.)

Tell that to the people with ugly, greasy, shiny keys.

AlexBass

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2012

No, opening the macbook pro doesn't void the warranty. Removing and upgrading the RAM yourself doesn't void the warranty either. It's the best low-cost thing you can do to your MBP and is very simple. Use something like this- http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-1333m...id=1342085359&sr=1-2&keywords=Corsair+8gb+ram

Here is a tutorial for it-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EFRHdREdqw

----------

I agree, I don't use a keyboard cover. I keep my hands relatively clean when using the keyboard, nothing worse than having a greasy keyboards with bits of food in the gaps. I just brush down the keys and use compressed air to give them the like-new matte finish.

AppleBoyFreak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Kentucky
Thanks for the help! I'm coming from a very low end acer laptop I got many years ago so anything will be an upgrade. I don't plan on actually opening up the Mac but was just using that as an example. Another question. My birthday falls on the same week as when the iPhone 4s came out last year so if I wait in line early in the morning for the new iPhone at apple can I also buy a MacBook pro or do I have to wait till actual store hours? And the education pricing, how do you get that in store? Thanks very much everyone!

Slivortal

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
There is no "good case". Just get a nice sleeve (I recommend incase), then grab some real insurance (perhaps instead of AppleCare). Problem solved.

clairedelune

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
Tell that to the people with ugly, greasy, shiny keys.

totally agree. when i got my mbp last year, had to get a keyboard cover with it :\ greasy/shiny keys just look ugly (i mean it wouldn't be half bad if the whole key was shiny, but it's just that round spot where fingers touch)

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
London, England
Perhaps I just don't have greasy fingers.

But I just hate the idea of turning a beautiful piece of engineering design into something that looks like a Fisher Price toy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.