Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 11, 2012
When at work, I have my MBP set up to use TimeMachine for a backup to an external drive.
When I take my MBP home, there's a TimeCapsule that I can connect to via WiFi. Is there a way to have my MBP backup to this TimeCapsule as well, using the TimeMachine system pref?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Not by default with Lion, but you can use this hint to do what you want.

If you want to wait a few more days for Mountain Lion, it does offer multiple Time Machine backups without any hacking around.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 11, 2012
Thanks for the answer!
It makes me want ML even more :D

GerritV

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 11, 2012
I brought my office MBP home over the weekend to have it make a backup to my TimeCapsule.
350 GB took almost forever (about 30 hours!) and I didn't use the MBP during the process. Is this normal?
Second question: on the Timecapsule, I'm now looking at a sort of diskimage file, definitely different from my regular TimeMachibe backup on an external FWdrive. No folder structure, unless I doubleclick the dmg. Is that how things are supposed to work?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I brought my office MBP home over the weekend to have it make a backup to my TimeCapsule.
350 GB took almost forever (about 30 hours!) and I didn't use the MBP during the process. Is this normal?
Second question: on the Timecapsule, I'm now looking at a sort of diskimage file, definitely different from my regular TimeMachibe backup on an external FWdrive. No folder structure, unless I doubleclick the dmg. Is that how things are supposed to work?

How were you connected for the 350GB backup? With mine on a wired gigabit connection about 60GB total takes about three or four hours.

Yes... a Time Capsule backup is to a networked drive and uses a sparse bundle disk image format like you noticed. That is normal and by design.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 11, 2012
How were you connected for the 350GB backup? With mine on a wired gigabit connection about 60GB total takes about three or four hours.

Yes... a Time Capsule backup is to a networked drive and uses a sparse bundle disk image format like you noticed. That is normal and by design.

Thanks for answering!
And sorry, I should have mentioned: my connection was wireless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.