Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carpetoday

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
I'm waiting for my rMBP to arrive and killing time by trying to figure out a good backup plan. I'm leaning towards TC but when looking at the tech specs it doesn't have any thunderbolt or USB 3.0 ports. Do you think its better waiting for these ports to show up on a refresh or is this a moot point since TB does everything wirelessly?

Thanks!

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I'm waiting for my rMBP to arrive and killing time by trying to figure out a good backup plan. I'm leaning towards TC but when looking at the tech specs it doesn't have any thunderbolt or USB 3.0 ports. Do you think its better waiting for these ports to show up on a refresh or is this a moot point since TB does everything wirelessly?

Thanks!

I'm eagerly waiting for a refresh too but not because of the reasons you've mentioned. Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 would be nice and I certainly wouldn't complain if Apple added these, but I don't have anything physically connected to my TC personally (other than the cable modem).

I'm more interested in the latest Wifi spec, 802.11ac. Really can't wait for Apple to start updating everything in the eco system with this spec so media streaming and airplay between my Mac, Apple TV, and iOS devices should be lightning fast.

Also, I need to bump up to a higher Time Capsule capacity soon as my backed up material is beginning to reach the size of the Time Capsule itself. Not good. My iTunes drive is filling up way too fast. :eek:

So anyway, it depends on how you'll be using the TC i suppose. Will you be connecting your rMBP to an external monitor and keeping it stationary most of the time? Or do you plan on moving it around a lot? If so, there may not be much point in having TB or USB 3.0 since you'll probably using it wirelessly most of the time anyway.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.