Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ThinkiOS reports (via 9to5Mac) that it has received a pair of drawings claimed to be of the "iPad mini" from a source in China.

thinkios_ipad_mini_drawing_front.jpg
The drawings are rather simplistic in nature, and several other inconsistencies make it difficult to believe that they are genuine drawings based on the actual design of the rumored product. The most glaring inconsistency is the aspect ratio of the display on the drawing, which we estimate at very close to 1.40. The iPad mini has been rumored to be adopting the same resolution as the non-Retina iPad, which uses an aspect ratio of 1.33.

thinkios_ipad_mini_drawing_rear.jpg
Overall, the drawings show the size of the iPad mini at 200 mm by 135 mm, with a thickness of 7.3 mm. This compares to the 241 mm by 186 mm size of the current iPad models, with the third-generation iPad measuring 9.4 mm thick and the iPad 2 measuring 8.8 mm thick.

ThinkiOS claims that the iPad mini carries a 7-inch display, although our counting of the pixels when scaled to the stated measurement of the device yields a display of roughly 7.8 inches, closer to the 7.85-inch display that has been rumored for some time.

Earlier this week, another case maker's model of the rumored iPad mini surfaced, with pixel counts of the photos estimating the device's size at a slightly larger 213 mm by 143 mm.

fullhull_ipad_mini_cases_front.jpg
Unlike the earlier photos, however, the new drawings surfacing today are accompanied by photos of cases that are actually being produced based on the design. The cases are being manufactured by Fullhull, a case company based in Shenzhen, China where Apple's manufacturing partner Foxconn has major assembly facilities.

fullhull_ipad_mini_cases_rear.jpg
Case manufacturers have become increasingly willing to begin production on cases for rumored products based on speculation and leaks, hoping to benefit by being among the first to hit the market following the actual launch. But as was seen last year with the tapered iPhone design for which numerous cases were circulating, those bets do not always pay off.

Article Link: 'iPad Mini' Cases Accompanied by Sketchy Drawings

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
It's hard to tell of course if this is legit or not, but a smaller iPad may be a fun product to have for those that want a smaller version of an iPad, but not something as small as an iPhone. If priced right it would take a big bite out of the smaller tablets out there.

animefx

macrumors regular
May 10, 2005
Illinois
If these are legitimate drawings of the real deal then it looks like it would be difficult to hold in portrait model. There is no enough bezel on the sides to rest your thumbs.

It's for phones because we can grip the entire phone with one hand but that's not possible even with a smaller tablet so there needs to be an ample amount of bezel on the edges. The current iPad could shave 1mm on each side it still have enough room to grip but more than that would be an ergonomic nightmare.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I'm going to laugh my ass off when Sept rolls around and Tim shows off the iPhone (6th Gen) that looks exactly like the 4 and 4s, a 5.5 inch revamped iPod Touch and both no 'real' Apple TV or an iPad Mini.

Then when Oct rolls around and there's a new Mac Mini and iMacs (including a high end 27 inch retina) that look more or less the same (that high end might be ODD free and thinner but the rest the same), new Cinema displays with HDMI input. No iPad Mini, no 'real' Apple TV

and then March with the iPad 4th Gen, no mini. but of course rumors of one and an 'better' iPad 4th gen will kick up within two weeks 'for the fall' and so on

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
It's hard to tell of course if this is legit or not, but a smaller iPad may be a fun product to have for those that want a smaller version of an iPad, but not something as small as an iPhone. If priced right it would take a big bite out of the smaller tablets out there.

If these are legitimate drawings of the real deal then it looks like it would be difficult to hold in portrait model. There is no enough bezel on the sides to rest your thumbs.

It's for phones because we can grip the entire phone with one hand but that's not possible even with a smaller tablet so there needs to be an ample amount of bezel on the edges. The current iPad could shave 1mm on each side it still have enough room to grip but more than that would be an ergonomic nightmare.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't usually hold my iPad with my thumbs. I find it far more comfortable to sort of cradle it in my hands, with my fingers supporting it underneath and the sides lightly pressing into my palms.

ConnYoungy

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
Why does this make the iOS page yet sketchy rumours of an iPad mini are on the front page? Sometimes i'm baffled by which page they put things on...

MacAgnostic

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Overall, the drawings show the size of the iPad mini at 200 mm by 135 mm, with a thickness of 7.3 mm. This compares to the 241 mm by 186 mm size of the current iPad models, with the third-generation iPad measuring 9.4 mm thick and the iPad 2 measuring 8.8 mm thick.

Earlier this week, another case maker's model of the rumored iPad mini surfaced, with pixel counts of the photos estimating the device's size at a slightly larger 213 mm by 143 mm.
That estimation was wrong; with those dimensions the top and bottom bezel would be about 5mm greater than the iPad.

Yesterday I performed a perspective correction on that photo, did the math and arrived at dimensions of about 204mm x 137mm; that is fairly close to this drawing.

PerfectDB

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2012
Boston, Lincolnshire
As much as an iPad Mini makes sense, I think we should wait to see some actual parts leak before assuming this thing really exists, otherwise it's the 'iPhone 5' redesign fiasco all over again.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Case manufacturers have become increasingly willing to begin production on cases for rumored products based on speculation and leaks, hoping to benefit by being among the first to hit the market following the actual launch.

When people are willing to pay $20 - $40 for a $0.30 piece of silicon it's worth it to be first to market.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
Lots of rumors, sketches, and cases, but no actual evidence. This sounds like a repeat of the tapered "iPhone 5" fiasco from last year.

MacAgnostic

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Bellevue, WA
The most glaring inconsistency is the aspect ratio of the display on the drawing, which we estimate at very close to 1.40. The iPad mini has been rumored to be adopting the same resolution as the non-Retina iPad, which uses an aspect ratio of 1.33.
ThinkiOS claims that the iPad mini carries a 7-inch display, although our counting of the pixels when scaled to the stated measurement of the device yields a display of roughly 7.8 inches, closer to the 7.85-inch display that has been rumored for some time.
Here's what it would look like with a 7.85" 4:3 display.

Attachments

• ipad mini diagram.png
    ipad mini diagram.png
    114.2 KB · Views: 224

topocalypse

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2011
I personally think there is almost zero chance of the mini iPad coming out. I think they will introduce iPhone five with bigger screen. I want there to be a mini iPad but you know, apple prolly won't do it. I wanna sell my first iPad and buy mini iPad but I feel that they prolly won't be one so I got to live with this slow and lackluster iPad damn. It's only good for viewing photos, everything else just seems so slow and always crashes.

brewno

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
Montreal, Canada
iPad Mini is a must for me, I spend at least 1h/day on the metro and the iPad is just too big to carry. Not very discrete. The iPad Mini would be perfect for reading.

iGiselle2

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2012
To be honest, it's an IPAD. Why do you want to make an iPad smaller? What's the point? It's a pad. Pads are big. So therefore, why does apple want to make a huge iPod touch which it already is. I hope they don't make this because the iPad is known for being big. I love apple but, please no iPad mini. :(

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I think it's a safe bet at this stage that Apple is gearing up with an iPad Mini, but if it's priced to compete with the Kindle & Nexus 7 (so anywhere between $199-299) one does wonder what on earth are they going to do with the iPod Touch which will then seem very expensive.....

Will the iPod Mini replace the iPod Touch, or will they decrease the price of the touch to compensate ?

I'd actually like an iPad Mini solely for books, my new iPad is still a little too heavy for sustained reading durations, but a mini would suit that down to the ground. The only issue stopping me buying one would be the lack of Retina Display. After reading with the new iPad, going back to iPad 2 resolution is a massive drop. I realise with the size of the device the DPI will be higher than iPad 2, but still no where near as close as Retina.

golf1410

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA
It seem to be many Apple products will come out this 4th quarter. Apple TV, MacBook Pro 13" with retina, iPad mini, iPhone 5th, refresh iMac?, iPod.

There is a slightly different between hope, believe, and realistic?

lovemyapple

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
An iPad mini just doesn't sound like apple to me...I mean I know a lot has changed since Steve passed away, but it just seems like something they won't do. If they do I'm sure it'll be different than what we think.

Mag555

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
iPad Mini' Cases Accompanied by Sketchy Drawings

It so stylish and i wish to buy it.Thanx for sharing it.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.