Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

utahman130

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
Just thought I'd post this here för reference.

Alright, here we go!

Your iDevice and computer must be connected to the same network. It must also be jailbroken.

Step 1: open Cydia and download OpenSSH

Step 2: on your iDevice, go to Settings>WiFi and click the blue arrow on whatever network you are connected to. Write down the IP address.

Step 3: Open Terminal on the Mac or download Putty for Windows and type
Code:
ssh root@insertipaddresshere
enter the default password alpine.

Step 4: once connected type
Code:
passwd
and type whatever you want the password to be. Then type
Code:
passwd mobile
and then type the same password you typed for the passwd command. Exit out of Terminal

Step 5: download Cyberduck for Mac or PC

Step 6: open Cyberduck and click Open Connection.
Values:
Code:
SFTP (SSH File Transfter Protocol)
Server: Your IP Address
Port: 22
Username: root
Password: Password you put in Terminal or Putty.
Click connect, and you have access to all files in your iDevice, including system files, at your fingertips without having to touch the iDevice. When you make a change, be sure to restoring on the device afterword so the changes will show.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
Thanks for the write up, utah. Aren't there certain situations in which SSH is more advantageous than connecting with a USB? i.e. - if there is an issue with the phone itself, and you need to retrieve files, etc. Does that only apply if there is a hardware issue with the connector/port itself?

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
Well if USB isn't an option then SSH over wi fi is the only way you are going to get at that file system unless you have an app installed that can see the files and then email them out.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
Well if USB isn't an option then SSH over wi fi is the only way you are going to get at that file system unless you have an app installed that can see the files and then email them out.

Right - maybe I worded it funny... I meant is that the ONLY scenario in which iFunbox is not preferable, or can there be other types of hardware/software failure that make SSH a better/the only option?

utahman130

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
Probably the only reasons I prefer Cyberduck to iFunbox is because I don't have to hook it up to my computer, anywhere in the house I can change files. Also, iFunbox doesn't run on my iMac G5, Cyberduck is Universial.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.