Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
I'm currently running the current beta of ios 6 and want to go back to ios 5. My question is how can I do this without losing any of my saved data/pictures and everything. I'm backed up to iCloud.

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
short answer: you can't. ios6 backups cannot be restored to an ios5 device.

[sarcasm] if you were a developer, you would know this ;) [/sarcasm]

adam044

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
Ok so how can I do a fresh restore of the beta. I have 1.03 gb of other something's not right

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
iCloud might pull your data down (photos), but for anything system related I imagine you're out of luck as while downgrading the OS is sometimes possible (put your device in DFU mode), you can't restore from a backup on a newer firmware version.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
cant I download the beta and do shift restore select the beta and restore to it. and then restore from icloud.

or can i download the latest ios5 firmware and shift restore and restore from icloud

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The way I see it, you really have nothing to lose. Do a backup; to be safe I recommend backing up to your PC/Mac. Restore to 5.1.1 (while technically this is downgrading, Apple is still signing this, so you will have no issues). You may have to shift/command click the 5.1.1 ipsw to get it going. From there, set it up from the back up ans see if your data transfers over. If it didn't, you still don't need to stress. You can always upgrade back to iOS 6.0 (same method as above with the correct ipsw) and restore your data from there.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
The way I see it, you really have nothing to lose. Do a backup; to be safe I recommend backing up to your PC/Mac. Restore to 5.1.1 (while technically this is downgrading, Apple is still signing this, so you will have no issues). You may have to shift/command click the 5.1.1 ipsw to get it going. From there, set it up from the back up ans see if your data transfers over. If it didn't, you still don't need to stress. You can always upgrade back to iOS 6.0 (same method as above with the correct ipsw) and restore your data from there.

yes I see what you are saying. but i do not believe an ios6 backup will work with ios 5. see no harm to try though

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
like i said, you cannot restore an ios6 backup to an ios5 device. your mac simply will not recognize the backup as a valid backup. believe me, i've gone through the process. when you tell your mac to restore from a backup, it will only select any existing ios5 backups. the same will happen with an icloud backup.

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
I tried to downgrade my brother's phone, I backed up to iCloud before putting it in DFU mode and restoring to 5.1.1

Once it was finished I tried to restore from the iCloud backup but the backup wasn’t listed! Any possibility that since it backed up as an iOS 6 device it wouldn’t be visible to an iOS 5 device?

Read this post...
short answer: you can't. ios6 backups cannot be restored to an ios5 device.

[sarcasm] if you were a developer, you would know this ;) [/sarcasm]
then read this one...
like i said, you cannot restore an ios6 backup to an ios5 device. your mac simply will not recognize the backup as a valid backup. believe me, i've gone through the process. when you tell your mac to restore from a backup, it will only select any existing ios5 backups. the same will happen with an icloud backup.

your question has been answered

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.