Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mooneybeams

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
Hi all,

I've recently upgraded from a 3G to a 4S, so decided to send the (jailbroken) 3G to O2 recycle. I therefore did the phone reset - erase all content and settings.

The phone is now stuck on the apple screen during reboot, and every ten minutes or so flicks and then stays on the apple screen. I've tried holding down the home and sleep buttons etc, which turns it off but then it goes back into the loop when I turn it back on.

Having read around on here, it appears that the phone needs to be plugged into the computer whilst various buttons are pressed. However, I'm concerned about doing this as the 4S is now registered with iTunes and I don't want to connect the emptied 3G in case it deletes all my apps etc.

Has anyone had this issue, and is it safe to connect the phone to iTunes to reset it?

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
You never want to hit "reset all settings" on a jailbroken device. Put your 3G in DFU mode, then restore thru iTunes.

Mooneybeams

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
It's OK to restore via iTunes? It's not going to wipe all the apps that I've purchased and which are on the 4S?

Or will it just fill up the 3G again?

How do you delete everything off a jailbroken phone if you can't do the reset and delete all content thing?

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Yeah. Restoring the iPhone won't affect your 4S backup, so you're good. You'll have the option after the restore, if you want to put everything back on automatically or manually on the 3G.

If you need to restore, just hook it up to iTunes. Doing "reset all settings" on jailbroken devices is never recommended, like I above. The restore will hangup and get stuck on the apple screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.