Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
I have like 50Mb left on my iPad. I have a few large apps and many small ones. I want to update Max Payne but I don't have enough space left tog et the update. So wanting to clear up some space I went to iTunes and ticked off a bunch of photo albums.

This would free up a lot of space, but when synchronizing it seems iTunes FIRST wants to update my apps and THEN it will delete the photos. But since I lack space to update the apps, iTunes just stops the sync. when it finds out it cannot install these updates.. Thus it never even gets to the process of deleting my photos (which is kind of retarded..).

So, without deleting the large apps and losing all my saves / app data, how can I delete my photo albums to free up more space? I know it sounds ridiculous but I'm kinda stuck here :/

JSchwartz15

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Remove the apps that need updating, sync and it will remove the apps and photos, then put the apps back on

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Thanks, but if I remove the apps then won't I lose all the data/saves within those apps? Like in Max Payne for instance, it would suck to have to start all over from losing my save

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Try syncing *without* ticking off the photos. iTunes sometimes just deletes the photos automatically when you run out of space.

If that doesn't work, surely you have *some* apps that doesn't store data, or can redownload their data? Like magazines, for example.

Also, if you have any music or videos, those can be deleted from the iPad.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
I seem to recall that when syncing you could uncheck the iPhoto albums you wanted to remove, and then click Apply at the bottom right corner.

I think it will initiate its normal syncing thing but you can click the little circle-X in the iTunes window when it say that it's syncing your apps. I don't think this will necessarily cancel the sync at that point, but it will move it along to the next step would would be to deal with your photos, etc.

Like I said, this is just from memory a couple years ago, not sure if it'll help.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
I seem to recall that when syncing you could uncheck the iPhoto albums you wanted to remove, and then click Apply at the bottom right corner.

I think it will initiate its normal syncing thing but you can click the little circle-X in the iTunes window when it say that it's syncing your apps. I don't think this will necessarily cancel the sync at that point, but it will move it along to the next step would would be to deal with your photos, etc.

Like I said, this is just from memory a couple years ago, not sure if it'll help.

Alright, will give this a shot tomorrow. I don't have any videos or music on my iPad, it's all apps and photos (which I can't delete directly - that would have solved everything)

JSchwartz15

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
I don't own an iPad (waiting for it to come in the mail) but I do have an iPhone. If the Photos app is the same, go to your camera roll and click the icon in the top right hand corner (it looks like the share button you see in other apps) select the photos you want to delete and click delete in the lower left hand corner.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Also try closing all of the apps in your multi-tasking tray and power-cycling your iPad twice before syncing.

I know it sounds goofy but sometimes deleted information kind of hangs around on iOS devices. It usually shows up in the mysterious "Other" category when looking at it in iTunes. A lot of that stuff is app data and other OS related information, but some of it may be trash.

If you do that, it may free up a little extra space to work install your updates and get reorganized.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.