Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mags88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Hey guys,

I have a Seagate Goflex 2TB HDD which works on my girlfriends early 2011 MBP 13" with lion but not my mid 2012 MBP 13".

It shows up on hers with the black desktop icon and you can move files in the HDD and add files.. it's read/write. However on my MBP it loads up with the standard yellow desktop icon which all drives have and it only works as read only. I cannot move files in the HDD or add any from my MBP.

I have installed drivers and tried everything. Could the drive me corrupt? I am stumped :confused:

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
I have a Seagate 2TB drive too. My third one right now is coming in the mail. I had the same problems as you. Sometimes would look alright, sometimes it would fail to mount and couldn't be fixed by Disk Utility or TechToolPro.

The drives are garbage. I will never buy another Seagate product.

Mags88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
Have you had any issues with the data on it? E.g. losing files after backing up onto the HDD?

So could my drive be goosed?

Dwhite78

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
Hey guys,

I have a Seagate Goflex 2TB HDD which works on my girlfriends early 2011 MBP 13" with lion but not my mid 2012 MBP 13".

It shows up on hers with the black desktop icon and you can move files in the HDD and add files.. it's read/write. However on my MBP it loads up with the standard yellow desktop icon which all drives have and it only works as read only. I cannot move files in the HDD or add any from my MBP.

I have installed drivers and tried everything. Could the drive me corrupt? I am stumped :confused:

I had this same exact issue. I solved it by connecting it to the machine it works on. Reformatting it to journaled and then recopying my data back over. It now works on both machines.

This is a weird issue though, because I bought two at the same time. One of them had this problem. The other didn't.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Have you had any issues with the data on it? E.g. losing files after backing up onto the HDD?

So could my drive be goosed?

Might be. If your data is backed up somewhere else, try reformatting it to OSX Extended Journaled. That helped one of mine work for a while longer... until it became corrupted again. I keep RMA'ing them hoping to get a good one. I wish I could just get a refund and buy a Western Digital drive.

Mags88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
I am going to attempt to take it back to the store I got it from and switch it for a different brand. I was going to buy the WD one but went for this because it was cheaper... you get what you pay for :D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.