Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Greetings,

This is my first post in this forum (usually lurk and search/Google to find my answers), but I haven't had any luck thus far with my issue... I have an external hard drive that was Windows based (I reformatted to only work with Mac now) and I use this for Time Machine Backups. Last night I plugged it in to backup some images of my daughter and save some other files. As soon as it mounted I changed the name of the external hd from "free agent go" to "Time Machine" right from the desktop (I've checked the boxes in Finder>Preferences>Show these items on desktop). I noticed after I ejected and unplugged the external drive that it was still showing on my desktop (?)

I plugged it back in to see what would happen and it showed up AGAIN right underneath my external hd (same name, obviously same external hd). I ejected once more and only the bottom one disappeared. I still had the external hard drive showing on my desktop even though it was ejected and unplugged.

Is this normal?? I only have my Macintosh HD showing on my desktop and I assumed that my external drive would only show when it was plugged in. Did I unintentionally make a duplicate (when I changed the name of it from the desktop) that's on my desktop for good? I was unable to move it to trash or delete it. Anyone familiar with this issue? I'd ultimately only like it to show when it's plugged in and have it disappear when I eject.

I'm new to the Mac, so any assistance would be great. There are A LOT of helpful people here (as i've been reading these forums for a few weeks now)

Please and thank you!

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Sometimes Mac OS X does this when you rename drives. Rebooting the computer should solve the issue.

Excellent! I had 2% last night on my battery and it was late, so I figured I would look for a fix in the morning... I turned it off last night, so I will fire it up when I get home and see if it's gone. I will report back, Thanks again for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.