Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:23 AM   #1
radiogoober
Banned

Stream content from anywhere with Plex

Hi all,

This is probably old news, but I just found this out. Most of us know about Plex Server and the Plex iOS apps. It's easy enough to setup Plex server on your same machine that hosts your iTunes library, and as long as your library is reasonably organized Plex should pickup most of your content.

Well, if you actually sign up for the "my plex" account that it offers you, which is free, you can actually setup Plex server to stream your content to your iOS devices - from anywhere in the world. It doesn't have to be confined to your own WiFi network.

There's a little bit of configuration involved, and it helps if you either have a infrequently changing IP or if you use the free DynDNS service, but basically you can open your Plex iOS client anywhere and stream your (non iTunes DRM) content to your device.

I thought it was pretty damn cool!

(REALLY hoping for a Plex app with the next AppleTV iOS update!)
radiogoober is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:27 AM   #2
Sky Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiogoober View Post
This is probably old news

err.. yeah. Just a bit.
Sky Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:29 AM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiogoober View Post
Well, if you actually sign up for the "my plex" account that it offers you, which is free, you can actually setup Plex server to stream your content to your iOS devices - from anywhere in the world. It doesn't have to be confined to your own WiFi network.
Yep, fairly old news, but glad you found it! Of course, streaming burns up a lot of data usage, which is fine if you're on an unlimited data plan, or if you're on another WiFi network. You probably also know you can use your iPhone to control selection and playback on any Plex player on your network. I've been using it to manage movies, TV shows and music videos for a while, and I'm very pleased with it.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater