Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Hi all,

This is probably old news, but I just found this out. Most of us know about Plex Server and the Plex iOS apps. It's easy enough to setup Plex server on your same machine that hosts your iTunes library, and as long as your library is reasonably organized Plex should pickup most of your content.

Well, if you actually sign up for the "my plex" account that it offers you, which is free, you can actually setup Plex server to stream your content to your iOS devices - from anywhere in the world. It doesn't have to be confined to your own WiFi network.

There's a little bit of configuration involved, and it helps if you either have a infrequently changing IP or if you use the free DynDNS service, but basically you can open your Plex iOS client anywhere and stream your (non iTunes DRM) content to your device.

I thought it was pretty damn cool!

(REALLY hoping for a Plex app with the next AppleTV iOS update!)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Well, if you actually sign up for the "my plex" account that it offers you, which is free, you can actually setup Plex server to stream your content to your iOS devices - from anywhere in the world. It doesn't have to be confined to your own WiFi network.
Yep, fairly old news, but glad you found it! Of course, streaming burns up a lot of data usage, which is fine if you're on an unlimited data plan, or if you're on another WiFi network. You probably also know you can use your iPhone to control selection and playback on any Plex player on your network. I've been using it to manage movies, TV shows and music videos for a while, and I'm very pleased with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.