Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgxeab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
i have an iBook G3 "snow" / 500 / 650 mb / currently OS X 10.3.9 / brand new 80gb hard drive.

Tried the Tiger disk installation. It gave me a Kernel panic.

Searched about this and someone mentioned holding Option, Command, Shift and Delete then booting - did that and guess what!? The UPGRADE installation of Tiger commenced!!!!!

New problem however: installation process starts, but before it gets to 50% complete it gives me an error and that installation should be restarted. So now I am in a continuous loop. I deselected all printer file installations just to keep it to minimum but no good. Also tried to install it on a partition but didnt work, still get half way through installation.

So basically, based on the progress I have made so far, and based on the nature of the errors received. Can anyone come up with a solution or next step to try?

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
i have an iBook G3 "snow" / 500 / 650 mb / currently OS X 10.3.9 / brand new 80gb hard drive.

Tried the Tiger disk installation. It gave me a Kernel panic.

Searched about this and someone mentioned holding Option, Command, Shift and Delete then booting - did that and guess what!? The UPGRADE installation of Tiger commenced!!!!!

New problem however: installation process starts, but before it gets to 50% complete it gives me an error and that installation should be restarted. So now I am in a continuous loop. I deselected all printer file installations just to keep it to minimum but no good. Also tried to install it on a partition but didnt work, still get half way through installation.

So basically, based on the progress I have made so far, and based on the nature of the errors received. Can anyone come up with a solution or next step to try?

Since you were already in the middle of the upgrade, it probably wouldn't work just trying to do the upgrade again. If you still have the Mac OS X 10.3 install disk, I recommend trying to use that before you use the Tiger disk again.

mgxeab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
I have the retail version and install cd - the install cd gave the Kernel error (something about drivers not found for Powerbook 4,1).

The retail one is the one that installs half way and stops.

If I cannot re-upgrade once it has stopped half way then what other option do I have?

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I have the retail version and install cd - the install cd gave the Kernel error (something about drivers not found for Powerbook 4,1).

The retail one is the one that installs half way and stops.

If I cannot re-upgrade once it has stopped half way then what other option do I have?

The install CD cannot be Tiger. It must be 10.1 Puma, as I recall.

You need to reformat your hard drive again and try to re install with either disc. Might be fun to see the original OSX Puma on it for a minute. Then upgrading it to Tiger should not be that difficult; not sure if you have to go Jaguar, Panther and then Tiger, though.

I put Tiger on a friend's Snow iBook 500mhz with a new 40gb hard drive back in the day. No issues whatsoever.

You may be having the kernel panic because of the infamous iBook video card problem, however.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That is a strange error to be getting. That machine is natively supported under Tiger and it should have the drivers. The only reason why you'd be getting that error is your disc is scratched or that isn't a retail disc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.