Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wynand32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
Okay, at the risk of coming across as having a serious case of OCD, does anyone else have just the slightest bit of keyboard flex? Mine has some that's just the slightest bit visible when typing (and quite visible when exerting a little more pressure). If this is common to the 2012 models, then no big deal, but if it's unusual...

Wynand32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
Okay, thanks for the reply. I'm really enjoying the MBA except for the keyboard in general, which is also quite loud. I'm going to have to compare to some in an Apple store to make sure mind is the same overall.

Wynand32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
As an update, I did identify some other issues with this machine (including some stuck keys; I just think the keyboard on this thing is a bit wonky), and so I contacted Applecare. They agreed to ship me a replacement by the most expeditious route possible (BTO, 2-3 days shipping vs. standard), and a return label for this one.

I'm very impressed with this experience, to be honest. No making me send the thing in for inspection first, or go through the hassle of a return. Just a straight replacement. Best customer support experience I've ever had with a computer, and makes me feel much better about spending so much money on the thing.

nikot

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
Experiencing the keyboard at home vs the apple store will be very different. The apple store usually always has a lot of background noise.

Keep in mind it may be how you type. I'm a loud typer, my colleague at the office is a soft typer. It depends on you as well. Overall this is the quietest keyboard I've ever used.

Wynand32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
Sure, understood re: the keyboard. But it's not just the noise, it's also the overall feel. I'm a writer, and so a good keyboard is vital and I'm VERY sensitive to a keyboard's performance. So, I know that my impression of the other ones I tried was very different than this one.

Coupled with the other issues with the machine (SSD wasn't set as default from the factory, so took over a minute to boot until I figured out the problem, couldn't access the App Store correctly, trackpad sounds like there's something broken rattling around, etc.), I'm just happy that Apple agreed to replace it. If the keyboard ends up being the same, fine; hopefully I won't have any of the other issues.

BlackbookGuy

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
Please post a follow up when you determine if the new Mac is better and if there are any defects etc. I am interested in the Air.
Thanks.

Wynand32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
Please post a follow up when you determine if the new Mac is better and if there are any defects etc. I am interested in the Air.
Thanks.

I'll try to remember to do so. If you don't hear from my by the end of the week, feel free to send me a PM. I hope to have it by then.

Let me say that I really do hope the issues are resolved on the new machine, because I love this thing. Performance is great, it runs nice and cool/quiet, battery life is good (even running Windows 7 in Parallels), and Lion is a much nicer OS than the Snow Leopard I was using before I switched back to Windows. Overall, I love the thing, and frankly would probably stick with it even if Apple hadn't kindly offered to replace it. I'd probably get the keyboard replaced, and that would be the end of it.

Edit: Actually, surprisingly enough, my replacement notebook already shipped, and since Apple shipped it 2-3 days instead of standard, I should get it sooner than I expected. Again, I'm really impressed by their customer service--they've far exceeded my expectations here.

Wynand32

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
Okay, as an update: I received the new MacBook Air this morning, which is quite remarkable. Apple promised to expedite the replacement when they processed my call on Saturday, and here it is Tuesday afternoon and I've already had a chance to check it out. Absolutely amazing.

That said, the keyboard on the new unit is much improved. It's more solid, and now I realize that the previous one was simply defective. Yes, there's a tiny bit of flex on the new one if I look for it (and press pretty hard), but the keys are MUCH quieter, there's no stuck keys, the feel is smoother and again, more solid, and in general it's what I liked about the keyboard when I checked them out in the stores.

Also, the trackpad on the new one does not have the rattling/broken spring sound when I press on it, so that's a plus. This one also booted without any problems, and I didn't have the App Store issues I had with the previous unit. Heck, this one even has the Samsung LCD to go with the Samsung SSD, compared to the LG LCD of the previous unit (which I had found to be just fine).

So, yes, that first MBA was a bit of a lemon, but this one seems perfect so far. Suffice it to say, I'm now a very happy Apple customer.

Raejin

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
Thanks for the update. I am also interested in this topic. I just ordered mine last Saturday. Hopefully they ship me with a good one. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.