Does Apple cover the iPod battery? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jul 28, 2005, 03:50 AM   #1
wako
macrumors 65816

Does Apple cover the iPod battery?

I think the title says it all

I heard many people say that it doesnt however on the warranty agreement it says...

Quote:
This warranty does not apply: (a) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, misapplication, or non-Apple products; (b) to damage caused by service performed by anyone other than Apple; (c) to a product or a part that has been modified without the written permission of Apple; or (d) if any Apple serial number has been removed or defaced

It doesnt say anything about the battery here...

I was asking this because I was thinking about buying applecare before my year ends
wako is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 04:12 AM   #2
aznsal612
macrumors member

Yes. Bring it into the Genius Bar, and the technicians will be able to diagnose the battery, and if it doesn't pass a test for battery life, the unit will be replaced.

Also, if you're a student or teacher, you qualify for Educational discount for Applecare, which becomes $47 instead of $59.
aznsal612 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 06:32 AM   #3
wako
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznsal612
Yes. Bring it into the Genius Bar, and the technicians will be able to diagnose the battery, and if it doesn't pass a test for battery life

What the hell?

Because I did bring it in before like after two weeks after I bought it and told them the battery wasnt lasting the 12 hours as expected and they just took a look and gave me a new one...

What kind of "tests" do they subject it to?
wako is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 01:39 PM   #4
aznsal612
macrumors member

They calibrate it and run it through normal conditions and time the battery life. If it doesn't show significant battery loss that merits replacement, they don't replace it apparently. Or that's how the protocol is at the place I work at.
aznsal612 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 02:16 PM   #5
gco212
macrumors 6502

It's supposed to be down to 50% of the promised battery life for them to replace it.
gco212 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 02:18 PM   #6
Heb1228
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Heb1228
And I think that's during the first year. It may extend it to 2 years with AppleCare, I'm not sure.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 02:37 PM   #7
michaelrjohnson
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to michaelrjohnson
If you're just worried about batteries, you can replace them yourself using 3rd party solutions from NewerTechnology. Their batteries offer up to a 70% increase in capacity over Apple's batteries, and they range in price from $25 to $30 and include all necessary installation tools.

Additionally, it may be more expensive, though if you plan on keeping your iPod for awhile another solution may be TechRestore's iPod Battery Freedom which offers lifetime battery replacements for your iPod for just $99.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 09:27 PM   #8
matanga
macrumors newbie

I bought a 4th Gen 20G iPod and today I have ran both the continuous shuffle and reoeat song tests. I get 9 and a half and 10 hours of uninterrupted run time respectively. does my iPod have a problem or does that sound right ? I heard the iPod should play for 12 hours when the repeat song test is performed.

Last edited by matanga; Jul 30, 2005 at 09:35 PM.
matanga is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod