Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jan 1, 2013, 08:55 PM   #101
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Hmmmm!? Not letting me register. Keeps asking for a Captcha code but there is no text box to enter one and in fact no generated code to enter if there was. Am I doing something wrong here or do we have a first glitch?
OK, I'll dig around in the config and fix that.

----------

Fixed!
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:20 PM   #102
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcfanforever1 View Post
So whats the website's link?
thinkmchost.com/powerpc

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
Hmmmm!? Not letting me register. Keeps asking for a Captcha code but there is no text box to enter one and in fact no generated code to enter if there was. Am I doing something wrong here or do we have a first glitch?
I believe that it gave you an error when you attempted to register again? I'll look into that one as well, I can't believe how many issues I'm having right now. In any case, you have the permissions to upload files. I think there might be an issue with file size, I'll fix that ASAP.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 09:42 PM   #103
Falstaff
macrumors member

Yeah, it stated that there was an error in sending the registration email. I'm kicking myself for not taking screen prints for you.

Bugs? Yeah, been there in the past. Don't stress on it. Your doing a great thing. We all really appreciate you guy's work. (Wow, was that a Cousin Vinnie moment or what?)
Falstaff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 10:11 PM   #104
Falstaff
macrumors member

Say, You guys wouldn't be interested in an almost complete collection of MacAddict cd's, would you? Actually have several duplicates as well. A lot of it is OS7, 8 & 9 stuff but there is some OS X stuff (games, utilities and trial software) as well. I also have an almost double set of Mac Cube cd set from Aztech software. Though it's all OS7 stuff on them.

Let me know and pm me a mailing address and I'll send them too you.
Falstaff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:26 AM   #105
ppcfanforever1
macrumors regular

Sorry to bug you but I got an error when trying to register, heres a screenshot of it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dnfwk1q0gb04c1y/Error.png?m
ppcfanforever1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:11 AM   #106
skinniezinho
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to skinniezinho
Quote:
Sorry to bug you but I got an error when trying to register, heres a screenshot of it.

same here
F.A.Q for PowerPC Macs Powerpc Upgrades
skinniezinho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:26 AM   #107
Wildy
macrumors 6502

Torrents would be particularly well suited to this type of thing. Unfortunately I set up a very similar archive for something else, it never took off because people just couldn't grasp how BitTorrent works. We caught a load of flak from people who had just heard of BT being bashed in the mainstream press for being the root of piracy and didn't understand how it worked.

Anywho, regardless of that failure, if you are interested, I will have a dig around for our code - it has all the usual stuff you'd expect (categories, comments etc.) as well as auto-seeding, virus scanning and torrent creation from files.

Also, there is this huge misconception that WordPress is just for blogs. This is so very wrong! It is an extremely flexible CMS platform, and you'll find that many high-traffic sites actually use it.
Wildy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:40 AM   #108
prvt.donut
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
Torrents would be particularly well suited to this type of thing. Unfortunately I set up a very similar archive for something else, it never took off because people just couldn't grasp how BitTorrent works. We caught a load of flak from people who had just heard of BT being bashed in the mainstream press for being the root of piracy and didn't understand how it worked.

Anywho, regardless of that failure, if you are interested, I will have a dig around for our code - it has all the usual stuff you'd expect (categories, comments etc.) as well as auto-seeding, virus scanning and torrent creation from files.

Also, there is this huge misconception that WordPress is just for blogs. This is so very wrong! It is an extremely flexible CMS platform, and you'll find that many high-traffic sites actually use it.
I will second the word press praise, it is surprisingly powerful and flexible. Plenty of plugins for it too!
prvt.donut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:40 AM   #109
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinniezinho View Post
same here
Quote:

I am having trouble getting our server to connect to Google's SMTP servers, so it is generating an error when it tries to send a registration email. I manually activated all of your accounts this morning. I thought I had deactivated the automatic email for new users, but evidently I forgot to save that change.

Just register, if it pulls up the error, I will have to manually approve you, if not, you are ready to post in the forums. However, before you upload, I will have to change the permissions associated with your account. This is to prevent any random person from uploading software illegally- I just check it with your Macrumors name. Please read the topic in the forums about what you can and can't upload.[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

Max upload size is 100MB

Last edited by MisterKeeks; Jan 2, 2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:51 AM   #110
kylera
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

I too have gotten this error as well. My username is the same as the user name for MR.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 04:02 AM   #111
kylera
macrumors 6502a

Also, in case you're still gathering apps, here are a couple that are trials of full versions, but will work with a serial if you buy the latest Intel version:

OmniFocus (can run on Tiger or Leopard): http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp1/pub/so...cus-1.10.2.dmg

1Password (Leopard only):
http://aws.cachefly.net/dist/1P/mac/...ord-3.5.15.zip

1Password (Tiger):
http://aws.cachefly.net/aws/dmg/1PW2...ord-2.12.1.zip
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:55 AM   #112
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Everyone who has attempted to register thus far can now upload files that are up to 100MB. If they are higher, PM me, and I can make adjustments to allow larger files.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:01 PM   #113
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
Everyone who has attempted to register thus far can now upload files that are up to 100MB. If they are higher, PM me, and I can make adjustments to allow larger files.
Hey Keeks, I thought we were only allowing certain people to upload?
Last edited by spyguy10709; Tomorrow at 07:10 AM.
spyguy10709 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:11 PM   #114
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post
Hey Keeks, I thought we were only allowing certain people to upload?
Yup. Everyone who has registered has been on Macrumors and I think everyone so far is trustworthy. I'll PM you and show you how to edit user permissions in a moment.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:55 PM   #115
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a

Cool

Quote:
thinkmchost.com/powerpc

----------

I believe that it gave you an error when you attempted to register again? I'll look into that one as well, I can't believe how many issues I'm having right now. In any case, you have the permissions to upload files. I think there might be an issue with file size, I'll fix that ASAP.
Do you have to be logged in to download files? I see none :/
Old Jan 5, 2013, 01:10 PM   #116
skinniezinho
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to skinniezinho
about trial and that stuff,to avoid piracy problems I guess we should only update legal files, then anyone who wnats use iserial or something.
For example I have here bluephoneelite, the latest version, I will only upload the file, but for sure iserial has the serial for it (it is the same as the olders ones).
You can't even buy the app now.
F.A.Q for PowerPC Macs Powerpc Upgrades
skinniezinho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:01 PM   #117
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcalifornia View Post
Do you have to be logged in to download files? I see none :/
I am not at home and the only access to internet I have is an iPad, so I can't upload files. You can view files but not download if you are not signed in. Any registered user can download files, certain users that I can trust can upload files.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinniezinho View Post
about trial and that stuff,to avoid piracy problems I guess we should only update legal files, then anyone who wnats use iserial or something.
For example I have here bluephoneelite, the latest version, I will only upload the file, but for sure iserial has the serial for it (it is the same as the olders ones).
You can't even buy the app now.
Exactly.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:10 PM   #118
Wildy
macrumors 6502

Is there any particular reason for making users register in order to download files? Sure, if it's the only place I can find a file I'd sign up - but otherwise I would move straight on and find somewhere else to download from.

If you're worried about bandwidth abuse then I would recommend sticking all the files in the cloud on something like S3 which will give you more than enough space for a few dollars a month.
Wildy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:42 PM   #119
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a

Thumbs down

Quote:
I am not at home and the only access to internet I have is an iPad, so I can't upload files. You can view files but not download if you are not signed in. Any registered user can download files, certain users that I can trust can upload files.

----------

Exactly.
Nope, I can't see files. 0 Files.

Register to download? hmmm yeah...
Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:47 PM   #120
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Registering helps with bots and some other nasty things.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:51 PM   #121
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
You could add captcha/reCaptcha before downloading a file, like everybody does
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:30 PM   #122
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcalifornia View Post
You could add captcha/reCaptcha before downloading a file, like everybody does
That's a PITA to deal with though, I can't read them, lol.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:39 PM   #123
Ariii
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
Quote:
That's a PITA to deal with though, I can't read them, lol.
Me neither .

If it would be possible, maybe there could be a CAPTCHA that is taken away when someone becomes a member .
Tumblr
Ariii is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 03:43 PM   #124
Wildy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
If you stick Cloudflare in front of it with bot protection turned on, that will get rid of a good deal of them. Like I said before, dumping all the files in the cloud will make bandwidth abuse almost pointless because the storage is so cheap. Put a throttle on and disable hotlinking. There goes 90% of the bots without even resorting to using Captchas. There are plenty of decent alternatives to Captcha such as AreYouAHuman which is a lot less frustrating.
Wildy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 09:39 PM   #125
PowerPCMacMan
Banned

Same here...

It still gives me an error saying that it won't save my registration nor was an email sent to activate registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylera View Post
I too have gotten this error as well. My username is the same as the user name for MR.
PowerPCMacMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs