Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tradman

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2008
Galway, Ireland
Hi Guys. I was just wondering if anyone is running stupidly hot 2008 Macbooks at the moment. Ever since I upgraded my late 2008 2.53ghz macbook Pro to Lion I'm running an oven on my lap. Just checked istat pro and my laptop is running the cpu at 180 deg F, gpu at 140 deg F. I assume other 2008 users are not seeing this.
It's so bad that if I start the laptop from scratch/cold, the fans will be spinning within 3 minutes...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi Guys. I was just wondering if anyone is running stupidly hot 2008 Macbooks at the moment. Ever since I upgraded my late 2008 2.53ghz macbook Pro to Lion I'm running an oven on my lap. Just checked istat pro and my laptop is running the cpu at 180 deg F, gpu at 140 deg F. I assume other 2008 users are not seeing this.
It's so bad that if I start the laptop from scratch/cold, the fans will be spinning within 3 minutes...
  1. Launch Activity Monitor
  2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
  3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
  4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
  5. Take a screen shot of the whole Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
  6. Post your screenshots.

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel) If you're not already using it, iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)

The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
Apple Portables: Operating temperature

For Flash-related issues:

tradman

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2008
Galway, Ireland
Thanks for the well articulated reply GGJstudios,
I should have made explained my concerns in greater detail.
If I start the laptop and don't open any program, the fans will kick in at full throttle in under 2-3 minutes. I understand that cpu/gpu intensive tasks generate heat but my laptop won't go to sleep sometimes. Whatever is causing this problem ensures that the fans on my Macbook pro will stay on 24 hours a day with no programs open. I've sent this laptop in for repair to an authorised Apple repair centre in Ireland here and they could find nothing wrong.
I was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem?

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
If I start the laptop and don't open any program, the fans will kick in at full throttle in under 2-3 minutes. I understand that cpu/gpu intensive tasks generate heat but my laptop won't go to sleep sometimes. Whatever is causing this problem ensures that the fans on my Macbook pro will stay on 24 hours a day with no programs open. I've sent this laptop in for repair to an authorised Apple repair centre in Ireland here and they could find nothing wrong.

Try resetting your SMC. It controls your fans.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If I start the laptop and don't open any program, the fans will kick in at full throttle in under 2-3 minutes
As my post says, "If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC." If there is increased heat, follow the instructions at the beginning of my post.

fudgealtoid

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2008
2008 MacBook Pro Running Hot - No Mas!

Chapter 1
I have a 2008 MacBook Pro that was running hot to the point of automatic shutdown or freeze. Even after propping up to allow for more airflow the problem continued. My MacBook Pro was running at a temperature of 160ºF to 200ºF

Chapter 2
Because the MacBook Pro would not operate for more than 30 minutes before I experienced the outcome of Chapter 1... I took the computer to the Genius Bar. They plugged it up to the MRI and found nothing wrong... fans running between 1800 - 2000 rpm. Of course the standard "minimum cost would be $310" for service... "fix all problems" and 90 warranty. I opted-out and headed back to my office in search of the real problem.

Chapter 3
Turns out I'm the freaking Genius. I found great download which allows you to control and monitor the fan speed (rpm)... keeps a monitor with temperature next to my Time and Date... When I installed the software the temperature was as I mentioned in Chapter 1... after appx. 20 minutes the temperature is now hovering between 111ºF - 113ºF and my fans are running at 4040 rpm which is up from the 2000 rpm preset... max is 8000 rpm

Chapter 4
Normally I would not have been able to complete this post because of the heat problems / temperature... thanks to http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23049/smcfancontrol

...it's all gravy baby!

Head Honcho

----------

Chapter 1
I have a 2008 MacBook Pro that was running hot to the point of automatic shutdown or freeze. Even after propping up to allow for more airflow the problem continued. My MacBook Pro was running at a temperature of 160ºF to 200ºF

Chapter 2
Because the MacBook Pro would not operate for more than 30 minutes before I experienced the outcome of Chapter 1... I took the computer to the Genius Bar. They plugged it up to the MRI and found nothing wrong... fans running between 1800 - 2000 rpm. Of course the standard "minimum cost would be $310" for service... "fix all problems" and 90 warranty. I opted-out and headed back to my office in search of the real problem.

Chapter 3
Turns out I'm the freaking Genius. I found great download which allows you to control and monitor the fan speed (rpm)... keeps a monitor with temperature next to my Time and Date... When I installed the software the temperature was as I mentioned in Chapter 1... after appx. 20 minutes the temperature is now hovering between 111ºF - 113ºF and my fans are running at 4040 rpm which is up from the 2000 rpm preset... max is 8000 rpm

Chapter 4
Normally I would not have been able to complete this post because of the heat problems / temperature... thanks to http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23049/smcfancontrol

...it's all gravy baby!

Head Honcho

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.