Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jul 28, 2005, 08:59 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

File-sharers are 'biggest iTunes users'

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: File-sharers are 'biggest iTunes users'

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jul 28, 2005, 02:42 PM   #2
shamino
macrumors 68040

How much you wanna bet that this report will never make its way to the New York Times the way the RIAA's press releases do?
shamino is offline   0
Old Jul 28, 2005, 02:54 PM   #3
Heb1228
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Heb1228
I think this goes to show that the illegal download problem will probably be beneficial to the Music industry in the long term. If not for illegal downloads, mp3s and digital music would have never taken off the way it did. That would have meant the iPod probably wouldn't have met with as much success. Also, if people had not gotten so used to listening to music and storing it on their computer, iTunes and other wannabe music services wouldn't have been nearly as successful.

(Though I still encourage people not to download illegally.)
Old Jul 28, 2005, 02:56 PM   #4
Applespider
macrumors 603

There's still only a third of file sharers (probably the ones doing it because they love music and are looking for hard-to-find files) who pay. The other two thirds who are looking for free chart albums don't bother.

I'm not surprised about this. P2P sharers have more tech awareness than the average consumer so it stands to reason that they feel more comfortable downloading tracks than the average consumer. The iTMS isn't entirely mainstream yet.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 03:19 PM   #5
Josh
macrumors 68000

This shouldn't be suprising at all.

iPods can hold over 10,000 songs. Do people (does Apple, even) think that people are going to buy $10k worth of songs? Yeah right

Some rare people (read: no one) might, but surely not the typical Joe Schmoe that buys iPods. No one bought that kind of music when CD's were the norm, and no one is going to spend that much on music now.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:30 PM   #6
TomSmithMacEd
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to TomSmithMacEd
Yeah, I am one of these people. I spend about that much on legitimate music (iTMS/CD's), as I still get a vast amount of music for free online. I don't really have a system in what I buy, and what I don't, but I love music too much, and don't have the cash to buy all I want. (Plus lots that I want to buy isn't in town, or even on iTMS.)
http://www.xanga.com/erikmyxter
Looking for a powerbook.
TomSmithMacEd is offline   0
Old Jul 29, 2005, 01:24 AM   #7
SilvorX
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to SilvorX Send a message via AIM to SilvorX
I'm not one of those people who go "OMG you said you download music off of p2p so i'm going to report you to the police!!!111", I admit I do my share of p2ping, but this story is not news to me, I constantly buy albums from iTMS, if theres something I want that's not on iTMS and isn't cheap in stores, I go on p2p to find it, if I want it bad enough, I'll buy it off of iTMS or else a store
Old Aug 2, 2005, 02:14 PM   #8
shamino
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
iPods can hold over 10,000 songs. Do people (does Apple, even) think that people are going to buy $10k worth of songs? Yeah right
Who ever said that the only choice is iTMS or piracy?

I've got over 8,000 songs in my collection, mostly ripped from 600+ CDs that I've been buying over the past 15 years. The overwhelming majority of these CDs were purchased before the iPod was invented.
shamino is offline   0
Old Aug 2, 2005, 03:07 PM   #9
ph0rce
macrumors 6502

my whole iTunes libary is all leagal now all 1147 of them my school mates call me stoopid but then again... i'll be laughing wen the get the fine lol jokin... i woud feel sorry for ma mates if they did.
ph0rce is offline   0
Old Aug 2, 2005, 03:47 PM   #10
MontyZ
Banned

In the early days of Napster, I downloaded a bunch of tunes for free. But if I liked the music, I went to the store and bought the CD because often the quality of the download wasn't that good, and I like to have the entire disc with artwork for really good albums.

And the 30-second sample in iTunes is never enough to know whether you like the song or not, so, being able to hear the whole song first was also a plus.

I think the RIAA has had their heads up their asses for the past 5+ years, and have spent vast fortunes on litigating instead of investing in the future of digital music. It just makes the RIAA look stupid and greedy.
MontyZ is offline   0
Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:02 AM   #11
shamino
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyZ
I think the RIAA has had their heads up their asses for the past 5+ years, and have spent vast fortunes on litigating instead of investing in the future of digital music. It just makes the RIAA look stupid and greedy.
Originally, musicians owned the record companies. Then music producers. Then accountants. Now it's the lawyers.

With any luck, bankrupcy courts will come next.
shamino is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion