Tiger echoes in Windows Vista - first look - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jul 28, 2005, 09:00 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Tiger echoes in Windows Vista - first look

Category: Microsoft
Link: Tiger echoes in Windows Vista - first look

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jul 28, 2005, 09:46 AM   #2
michaelrjohnson
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to michaelrjohnson
A nice summary article that highlights many of the new features in Vista. However, it seems like they still have their work cut out for themselves. The MSFT employee interviewed for this article claimed that their new OS is less than 50% complete with Vista Beta 1. But the last paragraph is the best:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBytes Linked Article
The general public may have a chance to test-drive the OS, but probably not before the Beta 2 release - and Microsoft's Sullivan said that it was as yet impossible even to guess at a date for the second beta. However, Microsoft still plans to ship Windows Vista in the second half of 2006. "There are good business reasons for us and our partners to ship in time for the holidays in 2006," Sullivan said.
I wonder what those reasons are? Perhaps Leopard?!
Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:17 AM   #3
mklos
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to mklos
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelrjohnson
A nice summary article that highlights many of the new features in Vista. However, it seems like they still have their work cut out for themselves. The MSFT employee interviewed for this article claimed that their new OS is less than 50% complete with Vista Beta 1. But the last paragraph is the best:

You bring up a good point as that is when Mac OS X.5 (Leopard) is supposed to ship.

Also, this will give MS more time to copy all the new features in Tiger and Leopard.
2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo
16GB iPhone 3GS
mklos is offline   0
Old Jul 28, 2005, 12:01 PM   #4
SiliconAddict
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelrjohnson

Leopard prob won't be shipping until 2007. Apple will prob release a beta to developers at WWDC '06 and release the OS in spring '07

-Newton 4700 (a.k.a iPaq 4700)
-Dell 2405FPW 24" Widescreen
SiliconAddict is offline   0
Old Jul 28, 2005, 12:03 PM   #5
SiliconAddict
macrumors 601

Quote:
Of the three, improving user confidence was at the top of the list at the pre-beta workshop. "We have to nail the fundamentals first," says Windows client director Austin Wilson. Microsoft is determined to avoid "the patch management nightmare" and to seal off vulnerabilities "so that things like Blaster don't happen in the future," he adds.

That is VERY interesting. Up til now MS has always focused on features. How much crap you can stuff into an OS. IF they are finally realizing that security needs to be priority one I have a bit of hope for Vista...a bit.

-Newton 4700 (a.k.a iPaq 4700)
-Dell 2405FPW 24" Widescreen
SiliconAddict is offline   0
Old Jul 28, 2005, 12:31 PM   #6
redAPPLE
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Microsoft's goal is to move most Windows Vista users off administrator accounts. User Account Protection is turned off by default in Beta 1, but it can be turned on via the Start menu; it will be on by default in Beta 2.
let me get this straight, it would be very easy for a non admin to get admin rights?
redAPPLE is offline   0
Old Jul 28, 2005, 02:30 PM   #7
michaelrjohnson
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to michaelrjohnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by redAPPLE
let me get this straight, it would be very easy for a non admin to get admin rights?
Only if an administrator gave them the rights. If that's the case, then yes. The point is that rather than having Mom or Grandpa having an admin account (where they can allow more damage than good), they would be given a more restrictive account by default, but not as limited as a limited account.

Similar to how in Mac OS X, not every user is a "root" account.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 09:34 PM   #8
nagromme
macrumors G4

How is Longhorn with regards to Resolution Independent UI?

In some ways OS X is better at this than XP: nice big icons you can size at will, and Exposť in essence grants you more UI real estate temporarily on demand. And you can zoom the whole display very smoothly thanks to Quartz.

And I know that in some ways XP is better: more control over things like menu fonts. You can run a display with high DPI and tiny pixels, but boost the font size to compensate and achieve better readability.

And BOTH OS's permit an individual app to give you zoom control and/or font size control.

But none of that is a TRUE Resolution Independent UI: where you simply set your desired scaling, and EVERYTHING transparently obeys. Window borders, icons, buttons, menus, fonts, the contents of app windows... EVERYTHING. With ONE single scaling setting. You could, for instance, set your 23" display to have the same "real estate" as a 20" display, with everything bigger--but still using the full res of the display. So everything is sharper and more detailed, and fonts are clearer. Or, the flip side, you could scale down to 1/2, and give a 15" PowerBook the same real estate as a 30" Cinema Display.

How close to this does XP come? (I have XP but I hate to boot it ) Does Vista do this?

Because Leopard will... and Tiger already does, it's just disabled by default. (It's there so that developers can prepare for Leopard.)

http://developer.apple.com/releaseno...pendentUI.html

See sample image (with Safari at 200% scaling--only imagine that the window borders/buttons were as nice as the fonts are) here:
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/macosx-10.4.ars/20
(Search for "Scalable User Interface" and click to zoom it.)

This is the feature that has me excited about Leopard already. Scaling up OR down at excellent quality would be SO useful. Readability vs. windowing real-estate? No more trade-offs! Set it how you like, WHEN you like, at will And bring on the high-DPI, tiny-pixel screens, because there will be no downside (other than cost) to them once the UI is res independent. No more need to lose readability just because your pixels are small.

Last edited by nagromme; Jul 28, 2005 at 09:39 PM.
nagromme is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion