Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:12 PM   #1
KPOM
macrumors G3

2012 - Battery Charge Indicator

I noticed that the battery charge indicator on the menu bar is often 5% higher than what iStat or Coconut Battery 2.7.4 report (e.g. it says 96% right now while the others say 91%). I wonder if this is a case, like with the iPhone, where it deliberately stays at "100%" longer so as to ensure that the battery does draw down somewhat.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:13 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
I noticed that the battery charge indicator on the menu bar is often 5% higher than what iStat or Coconut Battery 2.7.4 report (e.g. it says 96% right now while the others say 91%). I wonder if this is a case, like with the iPhone, where it deliberately stays at "100%" longer so as to ensure that the battery does draw down somewhat.
The percentage is only an estimate, so it won't be 100% accurate. Usually they match pretty closely, but I've seen a few reports of more than a percentage point or two difference on 2012 models. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 01:23 PM   #3
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
The percentage is only an estimate, so it won't be 100% accurate. Usually they match pretty closely, but I've seen a few reports of more than a percentage point or two difference on 2012 models. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
I'm quite aware of that. However, I'm noticing that it is consistently 5% different, and that the independent utilities always agree. That makes me think that perhaps the tweaking is deliberate.
KPOM is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 01:58 PM   #4
tim100
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
I'm quite aware of that. However, I'm noticing that it is consistently 5% different, and that the independent utilities always agree. That makes me think that perhaps the tweaking is deliberate.
i have noticed this on my new macbook it is about 5% off. i never noticed this on prior macs.
tim100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:31 PM   #5
Jobsian
macrumors 6502a

I'm also getting 4-5% consistent differences between the OS and iStat's reports.
Jobsian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:04 PM   #6
doccho
macrumors newbie

Those 3rd party apps, iStat Pro & Coconut Battery, are correct based on calculation of numbers shown in System Information > Hardware > Power.
doccho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:24 PM   #7
Jimbogiant
macrumors member

Just wanted to confirm the issue: on my 11" 2012 MBA, after charging it fully to 100%, the iStat Pro/System Information charge percentage will drop down to around 95% before the menu bar drops away from 100%, and it will stay ~5% apart until it is fully discharged.

The weird thing is that the light on the MagSafe will turn green as soon as the menu bar reads 100%; however, System Information still says the battery is "charging" until THAT hits 100%, even though the light has switched from orange to green on the charger.
Jimbogiant is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air