Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I noticed that the battery charge indicator on the menu bar is often 5% higher than what iStat or Coconut Battery 2.7.4 report (e.g. it says 96% right now while the others say 91%). I wonder if this is a case, like with the iPhone, where it deliberately stays at "100%" longer so as to ensure that the battery does draw down somewhat.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I noticed that the battery charge indicator on the menu bar is often 5% higher than what iStat or Coconut Battery 2.7.4 report (e.g. it says 96% right now while the others say 91%). I wonder if this is a case, like with the iPhone, where it deliberately stays at "100%" longer so as to ensure that the battery does draw down somewhat.
The percentage is only an estimate, so it won't be 100% accurate. Usually they match pretty closely, but I've seen a few reports of more than a percentage point or two difference on 2012 models. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
The percentage is only an estimate, so it won't be 100% accurate. Usually they match pretty closely, but I've seen a few reports of more than a percentage point or two difference on 2012 models. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:

I'm quite aware of that. However, I'm noticing that it is consistently 5% different, and that the independent utilities always agree. That makes me think that perhaps the tweaking is deliberate.

tim100

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2009
I'm quite aware of that. However, I'm noticing that it is consistently 5% different, and that the independent utilities always agree. That makes me think that perhaps the tweaking is deliberate.

i have noticed this on my new macbook it is about 5% off. i never noticed this on prior macs.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
I'm also getting 4-5% consistent differences between the OS and iStat's reports.

doccho

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2007
Those 3rd party apps, iStat Pro & Coconut Battery, are correct based on calculation of numbers shown in System Information > Hardware > Power.

Jimbogiant

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2008
Just wanted to confirm the issue: on my 11" 2012 MBA, after charging it fully to 100%, the iStat Pro/System Information charge percentage will drop down to around 95% before the menu bar drops away from 100%, and it will stay ~5% apart until it is fully discharged.

The weird thing is that the light on the MagSafe will turn green as soon as the menu bar reads 100%; however, System Information still says the battery is "charging" until THAT hits 100%, even though the light has switched from orange to green on the charger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.