Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aboutthat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
Washington, DC
Right now I work putting together DVDs of medical lectures/courses for a pharmaceutical company. I'm a summer intern and the company wants to keep me on part time throughout the year to keep up with demand. The problem is, I'll be 2 hours south and I need to come up with a setup so that I can take the raw footage (DV tapes) and work to a finished DVD in my dorm room.

The editing isn't too intensive, I can get it done on my PB 15", but the problem comes to DVD authoring. We've been using Adobe Encore DVD (which is a Windows XP only program) to build menus, etc. from Photoshop files. Problem is, I have a Mac and the company laptop is running Windows 2000 and is so locked down with corporate stuff, it's tough to get a new program (let alone a new OS) installed. Can anyone think of a way that I can author DVDs while not having to worry about compatibility with Encore DVD in our main studio?

Only things I've thought of yet are either:

1) Purchasing a new XP laptop to run Encore DVD.
2) Buying Final Cut Studio, losing portability to the Windows machines we run.

Thoughts?!

tobio

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
London
Bit old now but i'll bump it anyway.

What i would suggest, is getting photoshop (elements would do) and just designing each dvd menu as a multi layered .psd file. You would then be able to import that file into encore at work, or into dvd studio on your mac.

The DV footage will be the same, and the functionality should be equal in both programs, just keep your PSD files safe somewhere. You will obviously have to link the buttons to the correct links in the respective software, but that's the easy part of the puzzle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.