Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMacandFries

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
I have spent about 3 hours on this and other websites looking for info. I have found loads but hope you will be able to advise me. Thanks in advance.

I have a 2010 MBA that will do the following...

Show orange then green light on charger
Start the fan
Flash the light on an attached USB flash drive when powering on and off

It will not...
Boot
Light up the Apple
Make startup sounds

I have tried...
SMC reset
PRAM reset
Debug mode startup
Disconnecting the battery

And nothing changed.

It may have been hit by lightning.

So my questions...
Could it be the DC power board? If so how do I check? Voltages etc.
Could it be fuses (not sure if it has any and where they are)? Where do I get them and install them.
Could it be the battery? If so how to isolate.
If its the logic board, ok, but before I buy A replacement i would like to really sure :)

Thanks so much again

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
If it's the logic board, it would be a fairly expensive repair (Apple quoted me $755 on a 2010 that had liquid damage). If it is lightning damage, it might be covered by a renter's policy or if you had it plugged into a surge protector, by the company who sold the surge protector (though collection would be difficult).

At this point, the best thing would be to take it in, so that the store can isolate the issue.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Tough one. I would start with the power supply. Switch it out and see if you get the same behavior. If the PS is ok, then it could be the power circuit on the board. I would suspect a voltage regulator. If the voltages on board are ok, then it's probably the memory.

I would post the question here on ifixit...
http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/Device/MacBook+Air+13%22+Late+2010/3

Or look around Tom's Hardware site...
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/324100-31-video-beep-boot

BTW, lighting strikes will usually hit the power supply and damage the diodes or mosfets.

Good luck, please post any updates as I have a 2010 as well, would like to know any failure modes.... Thx.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.