Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fizzwinkus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
I just got my Macbook Pro with ssd, and noticed last night that the space free as reported by the finder and activity viewer are different:
its as if everything i deleted is still counted in activity monitor. is this normal? a part of trim?

ssd1.png

ssd2.png

Lindono

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
The reason for this is, as I understand it, one of them (the Finder I believe) reports the space available, minus the "Time Machine Snapshot" stored on the disk, because in theory, Mac OS will make room by deleting some of the snapshot, as needed. Activity Monitor just gives you the facts.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The reason for this is, as I understand it, one of them (the Finder I believe) reports the space available, minus the "Time Machine Snapshot" stored on the disk, because in theory, Mac OS will make room by deleting some of the snapshot, as needed. Activity Monitor just gives you the facts.

That is exactly what it is. If you go to this screen you will find the amount shown here under backups will equal the amount of the discrepancy.

20120518-1x86diukkyxgxkryikbwbru7ms.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.