Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan115

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
What is the maximum size one should buy a TV for to be used as a monitor. I have seen 22 inch TVs with 1080p. However I'm not sure if I should go much larger because it may seem pixelated. I will use it 50/50 for surfing the web and watching movies and will sit at a normal distance of 3-5 feet.

Thank You.

Lindono

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
While a 1080p display at that distance will almost always be slightly pixelated, the truth of the matter is, there really are no movies out there at higher resolutions, so if that's what you're using it for, it wouldn't matter. I wouldn't go any higher than the 22'' that you suggested.

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
What is the maximum size one should buy a TV for to be used as a monitor. I have seen 22 inch TVs with 1080p. However I'm not sure if I should go much larger because it may seem pixelated. I will use it 50/50 for surfing the web and watching movies and will sit at a normal distance of 3-5 feet.
There is no maximum limit on how big a TV should be. If it's comfortable for you to use for long periods, it's good enough.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
It depends on so many circumstances. You have to look at the monitor itself, and preferably in the light conditions under which it will be used. There are some calculators out there that can compute the distance vs size of monitor for getting various theatrical effects and avoiding whiplash at short distances, but these may not suffice for reading text on an extended basis. You really have to try them out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.