Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:26 AM   #1
sofianito
macrumors 65816

Macbook pro battery cycle count

I received two days ago a new genuine Apple battery I bought from eBay for my MBP late 2008. I couldn't check the cycle count at the beginning since I had to do a new Snow Leopard installation, but I have been charging the battery since almost 2 days. Checking now with System Profiler the cycle count, I see:

Cycle count: 4
Condition: Normal

Are those values expected for a new battery?

TIA.
Google Nexus 4 16GB
sofianito is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:28 AM   #2
BlazednSleepy
macrumors 6502a

Yup, I got my rMBP 3 days ago and have only 4 cycles.
BlazednSleepy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2012, 03:59 AM   #3
Puevlo
macrumors 6502a

At that rate it won't last very long at all. Less than 2 years.
Puevlo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:26 AM   #4
sofianito
macrumors 65816

Is there a way to know if the battery I bought is really genuine? It has the Apple logo, and physically it looks like a genuine one, but the wierd thing is that the serial number displayed in the system profiler (see below) does not match the one that is printed in the back of the battery: W010220AJ6G1A

Could someone confirm if the two serials should match? Any help appreciated.

TIA.

System profiler output:
Model Information:
Serial Number: 6N9030A6X2VLA
Manufacturer: SMP
Device Name: bq20z951
Pack Lot Code: 0
PCB Lot Code: 0
Firmware Version: 002a
Hardware Revision: 000a
Cell Revision: 100
Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 4534
Fully Charged: No
Charging: Yes
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4775
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 5
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 362
Voltage (mV): 12416
Google Nexus 4 16GB
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:30 AM   #5
sofianito
macrumors 65816

Since it is very easy to access to the late 2008 MBP battery, I need the help of someone who has it to check if the serial number printed in the back of the battery is the same as one displayed by the system profiler application.

Any taker?

TIA.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:34 AM   #6
Shamil
macrumors newbie

hmm,it should be normal for new battery.
Shamil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:37 AM   #7
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofianito View Post
I received two days ago a new genuine Apple battery I bought from eBay for my MBP late 2008. I couldn't check the cycle count at the beginning since I had to do a new Snow Leopard installation, but I have been charging the battery since almost 2 days. Checking now with System Profiler the cycle count, I see:

Cycle count: 4

Are those values expected for a new battery?
No, if you're buying a new battery, the cycles should be zero when you first get it. It is not normal to buy a new Apple battery with cycles already on it. It is possible to buy a new Mac that may have a few cycles on the battery from testing, but not a replacement battery.

I'm not aware of any genuine original Apple batteries being sold new on eBay; only used or knockoff batteries. I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:39 AM   #8
sofianito
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamil View Post
hmm,it should be normal for new battery.
What do you mean? Could you elaborate more?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:44 AM   #9
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
That was that poster's first post in the forum. They don't know what they're talking about, as it's definitely not normal.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:47 AM   #10
Dragoro
macrumors 6502

How do you find out the cycle count?
Dragoro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:48 AM   #11
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
iStat Pro or iStat Menus or coconutBattery or System Profiler > Hardware > Power

Read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the Battery FAQ I posted.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:52 AM   #12
sofianito
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
No, if you're buying a new battery, the cycles should be zero when you first get it. It is not normal to buy a new Apple battery with cycles already on it. It is possible to buy a new Mac that may have a few cycles on the battery from testing, but not a replacement battery.

I'm not aware of any genuine original Apple batteries being sold new on eBay; only used or knockoff batteries. I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
I could check the battery status only a day and after it arrived because I had to install Lion. Could it be that 4 cycles have been consumed in 1,5 days?

The ebay link I put in my first post is from someone who claims that it is a new genuine Apple battery and sells it half of its price in ebay compared to Apple's price. It has the Apple logo and the details I explained in my previous posts. I just can't explain why the serial repported by the system profiler is different from the serial printed in the back of the battery . Could it be an imitation?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:52 AM   #13
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
That was that poster's first post in the forum. They don't know what they're talking about, as it's definitely not normal.
The amt of posting someone does does not influence the answer's correctness GGJ. If he is wrong, then he is wrong but it is NOT because it was his first post in the forum...

Similarly, those who post alot (you and even me) does not mean our posts carry more weight
dukebound85 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:54 AM   #14
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
I could check the battery status only a day and after it arrived because I had to install Lion. Could it be that 4 cycles have been consumed in 1,5 days?
Read the WHAT IS A CYCLE? section of the Battery FAQ.
Quote:
The ebay link I put in my first post is from someone who claims that it is a new genuine Apple battery and sells it half of its price in ebay compared to Apple's price. It has the Apple logo and the details I explained in my previous posts. I just can't explain why the serial repported by the system profiler is different from the serial printed in the back of the battery . Could it be an imitation?
You're not going to find a genuine Apple battery at half the price. It's a knockoff.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:54 AM   #15
sofianito
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
You can also click "About Your Mac" in the Apple menu, then click "System Report", then click "Power" in the hardware section to see all your battery details.

Last edited by sofianito; Jul 17, 2012 at 12:10 PM.
sofianito is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:56 AM   #16
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
If he is wrong, then he is wrong but it is NOT because it was his first post in the forum...
I didn't say they were wrong because it was their first post. They are wrong, because it's not normal. The fact that it's their first post indicates that they haven't posted enough to earn a reputation for posting factual information.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:58 AM   #17
Shamil
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Thats is normal for new battery.is the cycle keep going up when u use the battery and charge it to full again?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:00 PM   #18
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Thats is normal for new battery.is the cycle keep going up when u use the battery and charge it to full again?
It is not normal for a brand new battery to have cycles on it. Also, read the WHAT IS A CYCLE? section of the Battery FAQ I posted earlier to understand how cycles work.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:00 PM   #19
Shamil
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Im working at Switch which is Apple Premium Reseller(switch.com.my).i just join this forum because of my friends asked me to.currently im using other forums for posting about mac/etc2.forum.lowyat.net.thanks!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:02 PM   #20
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Im working at Switch which is Apple Premium Reseller(switch.com.my).i just join this forum because of my friends asked me to.currently im using other forums for posting about mac/etc2.forum.lowyat.net.thanks!
You're still wrong about the battery cycles.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:06 PM   #21
Shamil
macrumors newbie

Quote:
You're still wrong about the battery cycles.
You can correct me if im wrong about the battery cycle.you dont need to say that this is my 1st post and i dont know what im talking about.thanks.
Shamil is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:07 PM   #22
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
You can correct me if im wrong about the battery cycle.you dont need to say that this is my 1st post and i dont know what im talking about.thanks.
It was your first post. That's a fact. Your post was wrong. That's a fact. With regard to what you posted, you don't know what you're talking about. That's a fact.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:15 PM   #23
Shamil
macrumors newbie

Quote:
It was your first post. That's a fact. Your post was wrong. That's a fact. With regard to what you posted, you don't know what you're talking about. That's a fact.
LOL.i know what im talking about.what i say is wrong.you can just correct me nicely.no need to tell me about FACTS.thanks.
Shamil is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:27 PM   #24
sofianito
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Read the WHAT IS A CYCLE? section of the Battery FAQ.
Thanks, I already read it. Indeed I don't think I did 4 cycles in a day and half. When it has 0 cycles, then the Health Condition in the System Information would show "Good". My question: After how many cycles the Battery Health Condition goes from "Good" to "Normal"?

In order to argue with the eBay seller, I need to find out if you gals/guys could check that the serial printed in the back of your battery is the same as the one reported in the System Information.

For those who are willing to help, to access the Battery System Information click "About This Mac", then click "More Info..." button, then click "System Report" button. In the hardware section click "Power". In the "Model Information" subsection, you'll see the serial number and in the "Health Information" subsection you'll see the cycle count and condition.

My system reports actually the following:
Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number: 6N9030A6X2VLA
Manufacturer: SMP
Device Name: bq20z951
Pack Lot Code: 0
PCB Lot Code: 0
Firmware Version: 002a
Hardware Revision: 000a
Cell Revision: 100
Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 4775
Fully Charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 4775
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 5

Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 174
Voltage (mV): 12569

To read the serial printed physically in the back of the battery, you need to remove the lid at bottom of your mac. For those who have the late 2008 MBP it is very very easy, you don't need a screwdriver.

I just need to confirm that both serials match in order to argue with the seller that it is not a genuine Apple battery, because he cold claim easily that I did those 5 cycles reported by the System Information...

Thanks for your collaboration
Google Nexus 4 16GB
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:29 PM   #25
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Thanks, I already read it. Indeed I don't think I did 4 cycles in a day and half. When it has 0 cycles, then the Health Condition in the System Information would show "Good". My question: After how many cycles the Battery Health Condition shows "Normal"?
Good and Normal mean the same thing. From the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the Battery FAQ:
Quote:
Leopard users may see their battery reported as "Good", while Snow Leopard and Lion users will see the same condition reported as "Normal". They mean the same thing.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro