Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iri$hkelt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Hey guys,

I am in need of help on best way to fix my problem cheaply as ive already spent a fortune trying to repair this. Basically I didnt screw the screen in after replacing harddrive and later that night it fell and the connection from the logic board to screen pulled off the end two gold pins on logic board that connect to screen. Pics are attached.

Whats my best solution here? I have 2 pins broke off either end.. Is there anyway someone can solder new on? A new logic board is just too expensive unless I got one cheaply. Anyone got any advice please would be much appreciated.

brendaN

Attachments

• IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    568.8 KB · Views: 735
  • IMG_0026.JPG
    IMG_0026.JPG
    682 KB · Views: 713

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
Hey guys,

I am in need of help on best way to fix my problem cheaply as ive already spent a fortune trying to repair this. Basically I didnt screw the screen in after replacing harddrive and later that night it fell and the connection from the logic board to screen pulled off the end two gold pins on logic board that connect to screen. Pics are attached.

Whats my best solution here? I have 2 pins broke off either end.. Is there anyway someone can solder new on? A new logic board is just too expensive unless I got one cheaply. Anyone got any advice please would be much appreciated.

brendaN

I dont want to be critic if you are not willing to follow exactly the steps carefully and you havent the experience why you upgrade imac yourself and you didnt go to apple store.The screen is working?
If not the only solution i see is to change the motherboard begin your search from ebay for a cheap used if you dont find anything i will sent some online stores from mac new components but is going to be expensive and you will prefer to buy a new one.

iri$hkelt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
I dont want to be critic if you are not willing to follow exactly the steps carefully and you havent the experience why you upgrade imac yourself and you didnt go to apple store.The screen is working?
If not the only solution i see is to change the motherboard begin your search from ebay for a cheap used if you dont find anything i will sent some online stores from mac new components but is going to be expensive and you will prefer to buy a new one.

I dont understand what your saying here about following the steps? I just opened it up to put in new harddrive its basic. Yes I didnt screw the screen back on when put it back together, my fault. A new motherboard will cost in the region of 500..

Im just wondering if anyone out there has a cheaper solution for me.

Buying a new logic board is my last resort if cant get a better solution. The logic board I have in it is practically new replaced not so long ago by apple themselfs which cost me 500stg.

brendaN

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
I dont understand what your saying here about following the steps? I just opened it up to put in new harddrive its basic. Yes I didnt screw the screen back on when put it back together, my fault. A new motherboard will cost in the region of 500..

Im just wondering if anyone out there has a cheaper solution for me.

Buying a new logic board is my last resort if cant get a better solution. The logic board I have in it is practically new replaced not so long ago by apple themselfs which cost me 500stg.

brendaN
Maybe an electronic guy can add the pins that you broke it is possible.The screen is working?

iri$hkelt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Maybe an electronic guy can add the pins that you broke it is possible.The screen is working?

Im sure it is, cant see why not.. I can see the two pins thats missing tho if i look closely obviously imo the reason the two end pit pulled out only is because they were clipped onto the cable and when the screen pulled away it took them two pins with it?

good idea about going to a electronic guy where would I find one that would fix such a thing?

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
Im sure it is, cant see why not.. I can see the two pins thats missing tho if i look closely obviously imo the reason the two end pit pulled out only is because they were clipped onto the cable and when the screen pulled away it took them two pins with it?

good idea about going to a electronic guy where would I find one that would fix such a thing?
If its working leave it that way i suggest.

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
Hey guys,

brendaN

It's hard to tell from the blurry picture but are you saying it is pin 1 and pin 32 that are torn off the logic board? And I assume the whole connector got ripped off? So you are going to need to solder the LVDS connector back onto the logic board?

If it is indeed pin 1 and pin 32 (the very end connections... count them out) then these are both ground and it would probably work without them since that still leaves 10 out of the 12 original grounds.

If you are resoldering the connector back on you need some soldering skills or you will need to find someone who does. Not for a novice...

iri$hkelt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
It's hard to tell from the blurry picture but are you saying it is pin 1 and pin 32 that are torn off the logic board? And I assume the whole connector got ripped off? So you are going to need to solder the LVDS connector back onto the logic board?

If it is indeed pin 1 and pin 32 (the very end connections... count them out) then these are both ground and it would probably work without them since that still leaves 10 out of the 12 original grounds.

If you are resoldering the connector back on you need some soldering skills or you will need to find someone who does. Not for a novice...

Thanks for feedback, will count them out in a minute..

Quick question, I havent reinstalled my harddrive since ive been trying to fix this problem. Because ive my harddrive removed again this wouldnt effect my display would it? When I power on I hear the normal startup noise for mac thats it but no display and have all connections in (bar harddrive)

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
You are well and truly hosed, so don't see a reason why shouldn't try to get that connector soldered. What you need to do is find someone who is pretty competent at that, and willing to do it.

You need a serious nerd connection; try asking at hackintosh sites, hack/maker sites, ham radio boards, etc. Folks with those hobbies might know someone near you who'd take a whack at it (assuming you don't live near Foxconn...).

And check over at ifixit.com to see if you can find a schematic or repair guide that might clue the solderer into what goes where. If there's not room to solder pins on they might have to connect in some other way.

iri$hkelt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
The connection on the back of my actual screen also that you slot into motherboard the connection seem to be slightly damaged how important is this connection for display? I can straighten them out myself would this effect my startup screen?

Attachments

• IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    607.9 KB · Views: 265

iri$hkelt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012

Just counted the pins I have 30 pins so pin 1 and 32 are missing damn it was hoping I was wrong...

Where would I even go to start to look for a connection to buy? and resolder on?

iri$hkelt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Took this pic off google, nevermind the green circle he broke that pin.. The two red lines are the two pins broke off mine..

Are you sure there should 32 gold pins sticking up from logic board? This guy has only 30 like me unless he lost a middle one and the 2 ends which he didnt state..

Anyway just gives you a example close up what happened me

Attachments

• MO.png
    MO.png
    361.6 KB · Views: 999

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
Took this pic off google, nevermind the green circle he broke that pin.. The two red lines are the two pins broke off mine..

Are you sure there should 32 gold pins sticking up from logic board? This guy has only 30 like me unless he lost a middle one and the 2 ends which he didnt state..

Anyway just gives you a example close up what happened me

Those 2 end pins are both ground so they may be providing ground to the connector housing. I know Apple does not solder the LVDS connector housing at both ends even though the solder pads exist. Not sure why, but I have seen this on two 27" iMacs. It would provide a better mechanical fastening of the connector. As it is, it can bend up off the board if you are not careful when lifting the display.

As far as your question on the hard disk the iMac would still light up the screen, chime, and start looking for the hard disk. When it does not find the disk you will eventually get a folder icon with flashing question mark.

----------

The connection on the back of my actual screen also that you slot into motherboard the connection seem to be slightly damaged how important is this connection for display? I can straighten them out myself would this effect my startup screen?

That cable is extremely problematic. It is the sync signal for the backlight and not sure if will cause the display to not work at all or if there just might be a flicker issue.

The cable itself is a flex cable with the end foil adhered to the end plastic strip. It is easy for it to peel up off the strip and then it is really really difficult to fix. It is not meant for multiple connections and disconnections. I managed to fix one by using a bit of glue under the foil strips. However I did it under a microscope and it is very finicky work. You are best to find a replacement on eBay if you can.

iri$hkelt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Im really confused now because I counted the holes for the pins on my lvd connection and i counted 30 gold slots the pins go into so now I dont anymore think I am missing any pins and none have to soldered on.

any other reasons for me not to have any display when i turn on.. Can hear the startup noise just no display..

As i said a few posts up would this part I have attached be a vital part is no display cause I think the four pins are slightly damaged I fix them up but everytime I remove it there all shriveled up again

Attachments

• IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    607.9 KB · Views: 182

iri$hkelt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Dadioh what would you call that wire? I have to buy one anyway it should have 4 gold connections at the end my one only has 3 it is well damaged I have noticed. I dunno would this be the reason for display not to work but it cant e expensive and may as well replace it now anyway.

Thanks a lot for input by the way

monkeymann

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2009
Dadioh what would you call that wire? I have to buy one anyway it should have 4 gold connections at the end my one only has 3 it is well damaged I have noticed. I dunno would this be the reason for display not to work but it cant e expensive and may as well replace it now anyway.

Thanks a lot for input by the way

it's called the v-sync cable i think, and the display would still work without it..

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
I found a used iMac G5 logic board for $100 with a one year warranty from PowerbookMedic.com. I had to put in an order for one and it took a while for availability.

I now have all the proper tools and I will use iFixit for my repair guide.

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
I found a used iMac G5 logic board for $100 with a one year warranty from PowerbookMedic.com. I had to put in an order for one and it took a while for availability.

I now have all the proper tools and I will use iFixit for my repair guide.

The guys at PowerBookMedic are awesome. Bought lots of parts from them so if you can find what you need there you are good to go.

The other place to check would be mac2maconline.com They have a decent selection of logic boards and parts and go the extra mile to get you what you need.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
OP, you've killed the connector. It's plastic shell is gone as are some of the pins. It's basically unrepairable as getting the replacement connector and getting it soldered onto the main PCB will be major obstacles.

Best option. Sell it for parts, buy a used iMac.

It should look like this...
TKmkOMUuIj2ESJ1y.large

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
OP, you've killed the connector. It's plastic shell is gone as are some of the pins. It's basically unrepairable as getting the replacement connector and getting it soldered onto the main PCB will be major obstacles.

I think the picture was just used as an example to show the pins. I was assuming his connector still has the shroud but I could be wrong.

freshe

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2012
Hey guys,

brendaN

Feel so sorry for you man! There's nothing worse than knowing your beloved piece of hi-tech gear is critically/fatally wounded and all due to your own error... all my thoughts are with you in this dark hour...

iri$hkelt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012

Im on this site looking for help, if you read a few posts previous you will realise I have no pins missing. This is a website for help and help is what im looking to try and eliminate stuff. Ive already spent a lot on this imac believe me maybe your right selling it for parts, But it wont justity the money ive put into it. I joined this forum looking for a solution what could possibly be wrong not for critisimim (forgive my spelling)

From joining the forum ive elimeated the pins being a problem cause ive realised its not. If you can justify paying 500 stg for repair and not asking questions beforehand and looking for guidance why you here? Its help I want not someone to tell me to pay my owe's to apple which I have already and there a fkin ripp off!!

----------

I've had my 27" apart, that connector is toast. The solder tabs are exposed.

Obviously you butchered your 27" to bits how do you know my connector is toast? If you try to help people your going the wrong way. Please read before you post and if you have nothing helpful to say about a pc that cost me 2k at time please dont comment

Im trying get solutions how to fix it not getting toasted!

(edit: i said previous i wasnt missing any gold pins)

Dadioh

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Canada Eh?
So just to make sure we are on the same page...

Your LVDS connector on the logic board is still intact with the original metal shroud but the solder pads for pins 1 and 32 are torn off the board? And you are still able to plug the display LVDS connector into the logic board but the display shows nothing? You do hear a startup chime so it sounds like it is strictly the display issue.

A few quick experiments....

1) plug another display into the mini display port connector and make sure everything boots and there are no oth issues. A miniDP to DVI connector attached to any LCD display should suffice.

2) Shine a flashlight at the middle of the screen and verify that you can not see the apple logo when it boots. This is to make sure that this is not just a backlight issue. If the backlight was not working you would still be able to see faint images with the flashlight.

3) if the logic board LVDS connector is angled up away from the board try pushing it back down into place. I once had a 27" blank display that I fixed by straightening the connector back down close to flush with the logic board. When it was angled up something may have been shorting or maybe an open pin. Once the connector was back down against the board it fixed the issue.

Is it possible to get some clearer pictures of your actual connector? It would help me to help you.

Good luck.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
this is not a repair site. But I have torn apart many macs and put them back together.

I have a question did this machine ever work after you put the new hard drive in? You mention the screen fell off later that night you never said it booted and worked after you replaced the hdd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.