Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I'm thinking of going from an iPad 2 to iPad 3. I initially was thinking of getting a new 16gb wifi version (since I reall don't need 3G/4G), but I found a seller on Craigslist that has a 16gb AT&T 4G for $450 cash (with box and case). Seems like a good deal, but any concerns that it's used? Thoughts? Thanks!

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I always err on the side of caution so I prefer to buy new. Since you said you don't need 4G I think you answered your own question and i'd go with the new WiFi model. Although the 4G model will have a higher resale value.

If you are really interested in the Craigslist iPad, i'd get the seller to give you the serial number and call Apple. They should tell you if there is a repair history and what's left on the warranty.

If it still has several months of the warranty then it's your call either way because YOU are covered by Apple if the iPad needs repair. If the seller refuses to fork over the serial number then that should tell you something about the deal. ;)

* Oh and always meet in a Public place like a busy mall, for your safety.*

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I always err on the side of caution so I prefer to buy new. Since you said you don't need 4G I think you answered your own question and i'd go with the new WiFi model. Although the 4G model will have a higher resale value.

If you are really interested in the Craigslist iPad, i'd get the seller to give you the serial number and call Apple. They should tell you if there is a repair history and what's left on the warranty.

If it still has several months of the warranty then it's your call either way because YOU are covered by Apple if the iPad needs repair. If the seller refuses to fork over the serial number then that should tell you something about the deal. ;)

* Oh and always meet in a Public place like a busy mall, for your safety.*

You definitely make good points. My main driver I guess to this used 3G model is that 1.) it will cost a little less than a new WiFi version and 2.) the future resale of the 3G version should be quite a bit better. I do always meet at McDonalds or Starbucks when buying/selling on Craigslist since its public and they have free WiFi to test it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.