Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rahpe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
I have searched and found many cases where Mac user wants to share a Windows printer. I admit I have not been able to do that yet, but it is not the direction I want to go. I have a Brother laser printer connect by USB to my iMac (Lion) and I want my wife and my laptop and my netbook to be able to share that printer over my network. The printer is new and is not ethernet or wireless and I can still return it to Amazon and spend the extra $$ for a network printer, but I would rather that the Windows computers (XP, 7 and Vista) be able to print on the Brother attached to my iMac. I have downloaded assorted drivers to the point of confusion, turned ON printer sharing, turned ON & OFF file sharing (I would rather not share files, just printers if possible). Is there a simple solution for my conundrum? The Windows machines can see my iMac but not the printer.

Lindono

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
Did you also check the correct printer after you turned on Printer Sharing? You may also have to install Bonjour for Windows on the PC if you haven't, to aid in discovery. Also make sure you set the permissions to "Everyone" can print.

rahpe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Bingo! Problem solved...Thank You

Bonjour was just what I needed. With it installed on Windows I was able to see my iMac printers and after that it was easy to set up just as I wanted.
Thank you for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.