Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The New York Times has added to the concerto of reports hinting at the arrival of an iPad with a 7.85" screen this fall. Two weeks ago, Bloomberg offered a similar report, also citing anonymous sources. iMore reported something similar back in May.

NewImage9.png
Mockup of 7.85-inch iPad next to an iPad 2 (courtesy of CiccareseDesign)
The company is developing a new tablet with a 7.85-inch screen that is likely to sell for significantly less than the latest $499 iPad, with its 9.7-inch display, according to several people with knowledge of the project who declined to be named discussing confidential plans. The product is expected to be announced this year.
Amazon has seen some amount of success with its 7" Kindle Fire, while Google recently launched its Nexus 7 tablet. A so-called iPad Mini, priced aggressively by Apple, could prevent other companies from flanking Apple with cheaper tablets equipped with a smaller screen.

In October of 2011, Tim Cook said on an earnings call that he was "very confident about our ability to compete and extremely confident in our product pipeline."

Article Link: Smaller iPad Costing "Significantly Less" Than $499 Coming This Fall, According to NYT

lyricthejoe

Cancelled
Dec 7, 2011
I would use an iPad Mini more than I think I would a regularly sized one. I would think that typing would be much easier/ similar to the iPhone thumb typing style, and several games already available could really take advantage of this. A never-ending rumor, I know, but here's to hoping it's true this time. :rolleyes:

Monkey Butler

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2009
I still like the idea that the 'iPad mini' is in fact going to be the next generation iPod Touch. There's not really any reason to keep the screen size of the Touch locked in, especially if the iPhone's screen size is changing.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
a smaller iPad and cheaper is also something I would give to my son. with some parental control he could start learning email and use facetime with family. Of course one for Papa, too.:D

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
The main things I want a tablet for are reading Google Reader and browsing the web. Nexus 7 does both of these just as well as iPad, but it's £159 instead of £399.

I opted for Nexus 7. I think a lot of others will be doing the same when they realise just how good value it is.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I like my 9.7" iPad, but I know something a bit smaller would suit some people better. It should work well at 1024x768 resolution. I would like to see it, even though I won't be a customer myself.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
I would use an iPad Mini more than I think I would a regularly sized one. I would think that typing would be much easier/ similar to the iPhone thumb typing style, and several games already available could really take advantage of this. A never-ending rumor, I know, but here's to hoping it's true this time. :rolleyes:

One thing I like about the current iPad is that i can type at pretty high speed in landscape mode... Of course it's different when you're holding it in the air vs. when there's a surface or your lap to put it on.

dreamora

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2011
Somehow all these articles forget that apple can't release anything in the 6.5 - 8.5" range thanks to the millions they pushed into lawyers the past 2 years to piss of the galaxy tab and get it banned by proofing that it 'was like an ipad' visually cause samsung owns the 6.5 - 8.5" range of that design.

should they release such a thing, then samsung basically has an autoban at hand unless the design differs significantly from past ipads and hell will freeze before apple is going to break with their own design.
in this case it wouldn't be significantly cheaper cause it would cost apple a 2-3 figure million USD amount due to their arrogance and anticompetitive competition fighting patterns in the past

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Already ordered a Nexus 7.

With Apple iOS products, you are really just buying for the superior ecosystem nowadays, unless you absolutely need a Retina display. Good for some people, not necessary for others.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
The main things I want a tablet for are reading Google Reader and browsing the web. Nexus 7 does both of these just as well as iPad, but it's £159 instead of £399.

I opted for Nexus 7. I think a lot of others will be doing the same when they realise just how good value it is.

Yup it also has a much higher dpi than the rumored ipad mini. Around 216, which in my opinion is the best compromise between battery life and display quality. The ipad 3's 260dpi require them to use a gigantic battery. And the ipad 2's 130 was far too low.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Somehow all these articles forget that apple can't release anything in the 6.5 - 8.5" range thanks to the millions they pushed into lawyers the past 2 years to piss of the galaxy tab and get it banned by proofing that it 'was like an ipad' visually cause samsung owns the 6.5 - 8.5" range of that design.

should they release such a thing, then samsung basically has an autoban at hand unless the design differs significantly from past ipads and hell will freeze before apple is going to break with their own design.
in this case it wouldn't be significantly cheaper cause it would cost apple a 2-3 figure million USD amount due to their arrogance and anticompetitive competition fighting patterns in the past

2-3 million USD? I guess divided over the volume of iPad minis produced that might raise the price by a few cents for each one. Sounds like it'd be worth it ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.