Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:14 PM   #101
F4C4
macrumors newbie

@it.will.change.again.soon.com

Hey, don't bother getting my e-mail, because it will change soon...

@me.com... @icloud.com... @it.will.change.again.soon.com

I wish I could just have an @mac.com which makes more sense.
F4C4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:15 PM   #102
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

As long as I can keep my .mac email addresses I don't care
MacRumorUser is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:16 PM   #103
nydennis
macrumors member

I tried to create a nydennis@icloud.com email address. I entered nydennis@icloud.com in the primary email spot when it asked. It came back with the message that nydennis@icloud.com is already in use (or some wording similar to that) (Nydennis@icloud.com is not my normal me.com email)
nydennis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:18 PM   #104
utahman130
macrumors 6502a

Why did Apple not start out with @icloud.com for iCloud users in the first place?

Past: iPhone 5 / iPhone 3GS / 17" iMac G5 / 6 iPods / PowerBook 1400cs
utahman130 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:19 PM   #105
job2
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nydennis View Post
I tried to create a nydennis@icloud.com email address. I entered nydennis@icloud.com in the primary email spot when it asked. It came back with the message that nydennis@icloud.com is already in use (or some wording similar to that) (Nydennis@icloud.com is not my normal me.com email)
On your iPhone?
job2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:19 PM   #106
Navdakilla
macrumors 65816

ughhh. I don't even use mine anyways, unless iOS randomly defaults to that email
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:21 PM   #107
nydennis
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by job2 View Post
On your iPhone?
from my macbook pro. Not sure if it means anything or not. I figured let me try nydennis@icloud.com when it asked for a primary email address.
nydennis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:22 PM   #108
Niknar
macrumors member

Still love my .mac email but got no problems having more options and that it's all free now.
Niknar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:22 PM   #109
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland.g View Post
What a mess!

1. me.com is cleaner than icloud.com.
2. First a transition to me.com from mac.com. Too many transitions.
3. Will they consolidate Apple IDs finally!!

I have had a mac.com email address since iTools since around 2000/2001 when it was first introduced. So when the iTunes store initially launched my mac.com address was my Apple ID. With the move to MobileMe, that became my primary email but mac.com was still my Apple ID. Now with iCloud, I still have both but mac.com is my Apple ID and the only thing I use that for.

If it becomes icloud.com then make that my Apple ID and transition all my purchase history to it. And be done with the transitions!!
Gave up @mac.com at the time as none of it was working and not worth the money.

Never liked @me and totally dislike @icloud. (as will many people I predict)

Apple you are messing it up even more!!!!!!!

Go back to the mac (literally!)

Time to get a vanity e-mail and forward :-(
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:22 PM   #110
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Don't understand what all the fuss is about. It's just brand awareness - an @icloud.com email popping up in your inbox will folk knowing the brand like @gmail.com did.

And we don't have to use it. As far as I'm aware, @me.com will be available for new users too.

Finally, they'll never get rid of the legacy @mac.com aliases for original .Mac users. Sure iCloud is free now, but when I signed up for .Mac, it wasn't, so I paid for my @mac.com alias.
Kilamite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:25 PM   #111
job2
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nydennis View Post
from my macbook pro. Not sure if it means anything or not. I figured let me try nydennis@icloud.com when it asked for a primary email address.
Huh? When clicking the option "Create an Apple ID" and then choosing "Ge a free iCloud email address", the alias field ends with "@me.com".
job2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:28 PM   #112
miniroll32
macrumors 6502a

GREAT! So now I have alter all my docs and business cards with another address. Again.

miniroll32 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:28 PM   #113
newnomad
macrumors member

I understand .mac .me and .icloud will act as aliases. but does this mean that in the near future people who sign up cannot get a .me anymore? So if you want a short and sweet .me, and dont use icoud yet, you'd better sign up now to claim your legacy .me?
newnomad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:31 PM   #114
nydennis
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by job2 View Post
Huh? When clicking the option "Create an Apple ID" and then choosing "Ge a free iCloud email address", the alias field ends with "@me.com".
Odd, I updated the computer and it did tell me the nydennis@icloud was in use but after I restarted it now comes up as .me and won't let me repeat it on the macbook.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:31 PM   #115
WhySoSerious
macrumors 65816

I feel bad for all of you who have to use @me or @iCloud.

@mac veteran here.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:31 PM   #116
Mal
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Isn't it a pain in the arse to have to change your email address every couple of years? The sheer number of places I have submitted mine for one reason or another is staggering. Hundreds. No way I took note of even most of them either.

Apple should offer a guaranteed decade(s) stable email address feature. I know plenty of folks who keep AOL (gag) just to keep a stable email address. Where is the lifetime fee for that? Cemetaries do it.

Rocketman
No need to change your email address. Anyone who has an @me.com email address will continue to have that for the foreseeable future (presumably until Apple itself fails, because the negative PR of ending that isn't worth the small amount of money to keep it active). Anyone who had an @mac.com email address still does as well, like me. This is simply for new subscribers, and to keep things consistent, existing users also get one, which is simply an alias to their existing address.

jW
NoiseTrade.com/Walker
Mal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:32 PM   #117
finalcut
macrumors 6502

oh well another change. That's it for me, I am going back with gmail. This is just rediculous
finalcut is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:32 PM   #118
DrStern
macrumors member

Yeah, they should have either stuck with me.com, or never changed from Mac.com. icloud.com is one ugly domain name.
DrStern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:35 PM   #119
slavey
macrumors newbie

I will not be happy until I have my @eworld.com address back.
slavey is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:40 PM   #120
Aetles
macrumors member

I don't get why tech-savvy people would use an email service with a domain name that someone else own and control. Especially Apple with their track record. I had a good @mac.com address once but sold it since I decided to use my own domain name.

A domain name is less than $10 a year and it's yours forever. You are in complete control and you can change provider without changes your email address. Ever.

I use my own domain name with Google Apps right now, It is a good service considering the cost (no cost but - of course - ads if I use the web interface). But if I one day find that Google is doing a little too much evil, then I can change to some other provider. And none of my contacts would notice it.
Aetles is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:41 PM   #121
Mad-B-One
macrumors 6502a

I will wait to jump boats...

... as of now, I have first.lastname @me.com - nice and short. I will wait until Apple comes up with an even longer service name. Something like iComplementory or so. Then, I can impress my friends and family with that awesome super long email first.lastname @icomplementory.apple. Now, that works as a prank to give it to people on a touch phone, especially if they are beyond 50: "You want to have my email address? Sure, get your phone, I'll tell you." And when they are ready, you start to quickly spell a 50-letter address. That is fun to watch. If you get them to break out in sweatty hives in under 15sec, you might score a new record!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:48 PM   #122
zombiecakes
macrumors regular

Pretty sure youll be able to keep the same address forever, it would be foolish to disable emails as they are like phone numbers and used to receive important information/bills. I think even ISP's let you keep access to your email after youve canceled.

And I like the @me domain, its one of the best if not the best email domains you can get, theres no brand recognition with it and it makes sense as an email, Im glad I got one when I could

Last edited by zombiecakes; Jul 16, 2012 at 04:54 PM.
zombiecakes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:52 PM   #123
gwest
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsdead View Post
@me.com has ZERO name recognition. I've had it since it came out, and live in NY. No one but Apple employees know what it is, and whenever I give it out I have to repeat it multiple times because no one believes it's real, and then I have to explain what it is.

The 2 letter ME is not worth the trouble and takes longer than one with name recognition.

@iCloud makes sense, and people already know what it is.

The real key is to finally be able to merge all Apple ID's under the one name. THAT would be very useful.

@Mac was good too, but @iCloud I think will be easier like Yahoo/AOL/Google are.
I disagree. Anyone who didn't know "me" is just as ignorant of "iCloud". At least there was no misspelling of "me" (eyecloud.com)
gwest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:53 PM   #124
AMG63
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Garza View Post
If that is the case why change everyone's email to @icloud.com why not just leave it has it is and use that has your login for there social network?
Facebook has email and it is @Facebook.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3bruts1d View Post
If that were the case, I don't think they would be automatically generating @icloud emails for people that already have @me addresses.
My point is that Apple is clearly disassociating www.me.com and associating www.icloud.com as your portal for email, calendar, contacts, etc. A domain name with as much value as me.com is not going to turn into a redirect or simply be abandoned. I would bet that it's going to be used for something big, and what better name for a website / application that manages your personal social things than me.com.

The iOS6 shared photo stream is a major clue of what Apple could be slowly bringing to the market.

AMG63 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:53 PM   #125
rockland
macrumors newbie

I'm sorry but this is control-freakery gone mad.

As others have noted, how about putting their energy into actually making the user experience, you know, simpler (like their beautiful hardware) rather than dragging us kicking and screaming through (yet) another rebranding.

A good start would be untangling the rat's nest of conflicting user/Apple IDs.
rockland is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion