Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Ok guys, which one do you use?

I have a serious issue with consistency and therefore reliablity of Photostream. My issue is in this thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1404739/

Also, another issue from this thread from another user:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1274255/

I'm now testing out Dropbox's Camera Upload feature and so far it hasn't missed a shot and is certainly faster than iPhoto import of Photostream. It even uploads videos (which I don't make much off other than a few Viddy' 15 second videos).

Being that I have 8.5GB of space from referrals with only 30% used, I figure I can use it to back up my mobile photos and give me way more than 1000 photos than what "iCloud" offers, then import them into iPhoto to create various albums/events. After successful import to iPhoto and offsite backup, the Dropbox could be deleted to free up space.

Which do you prefer? Photostream or Dropbox?

austinguy23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
Dropbox's approach is the cloud storage solution that Apple should have deployed instead of Photostream. People just want automatic storage of all their pics (vids is a plus) to the cloud. Instead of doing this and charging for it (I'd gladly pay), they rolled out a synchronization service...something that's nice I guess but not really the simple solution most of us were expecting or wanted. It's like taking your car in to have your breaks fixed only to return to find that they just polished your wheels instead.

deafred

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2012
Dropbox!! Loath photostream & iCloud. My 2cents. Have found dropbox uploads slow though, but maybe the wifi am using currently.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Both.

I like having my snapped photos in Photostream but Dropbox is another good option as yet another backup of the photos that I like.

jpswansea

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
UK
Photostream is inconsistent

I really like the idea of photo stream, even though I realise storing just 1000 photos isn't true cloud storage supplement for my needs.

However, what I really dislike is the inconsistency of Photostream. For example, I can sometimes delete photos from my iPad and they will delete from my Mac but NOT iPhone, and on other occasions delete from my Mac but the photos remain on the iPad's photo stream. I don't get it?!?

The only consistent performer in this regard is the Apple TV which pulls the latest feed from iCloud.

What do you guys think?

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
I use both. I use Photo Stream to share pictures between my iPhone and iPad. And I use DropBox to share pictures between my iPhone and my Mac mini.

sakau2007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
I really like Dropbox.

It's been very reliable for me, and I use it for a lot more than just photos.

I also like that I can sync it to non-Apple devices without it being a complete PITA.

timotay89

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
I like parts of both.

I use both. I like that photo stream sends the pictures to aperture where they are sorted by month. It's easier to find a photo there then have to organize them all into folders on my own.

However, I do use Dropbox since I've been teaching a class for the past 6 weeks. I used to scan everything I got from the students (for reflection in the future and to stop students from cheating and changing stuff once they get work back) but since I've gotten an iPad. I just take pictures of stuff. I like that I can use Dropbox to sort those images into folders.

I also like how dropbox does videos.

I think the easiest way to view on the Mac is right in the Dropbox with quick look. But for organizing them, I prefer aperture. I also like how photos are synced between devices in the background, so when I'm not on wifi, the pictures are already on both the iPhone and the iPad.

I wish I didn't have to open Dropbox for the pictures to upload. I also wish Dropbox sorted pictures and videos into different folders instead of all into one folder.

Overall, I like (and dislike) parts of both and will use them both for the near future.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I was wondering if using "Backgrounder" from Cydia bypasses the 10minute limit that forces us to re-open the application in order for upload to continue...the limit is in place for how long an app can stay in foreground....when uploading a video it can get hectic. For Now I think its good but once Photostream sharing is out on iOS6...were going to be balling and have no worries about Dropbox...for now I use it to share pictures with family and friends as I have dedicated folders for the ones I share with the most so once camera upload completes I simply go to the application and select the images/videos I want and move them to their desired folders which is a breeze.

Another main advantage is that you dont have to worry about only having your last 30day old images or 1000 images...all are available to you in dropbox as compared to Photostream....plus sharing with family only helps me grow space:) I was lucky enough to get 5GB from dropbox via my android phone in begining....7.25GB from referrals so far and can go to 16GB:D Total ill have almost 24GB(16GB Referrals+2.25GB initial+5GB Camera+500MB from linking Facebook,twitter n tweeting etc) for free once I get them all:D

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Technically I prefer Dropbox, but due to just not having the time to spend on sorting cellphone pictures I only use Photo Stream.

If someone tells me if and how to have iPhoto automatically import the photos from Dropbox I'd most likely go that route.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.