Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple.fiend

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Long story short,

Mac Pro 3,1
Bay 1: SSD Boot Drive
Bay 2: Home folder HDD

Went to SSD, changed permissions to enclosed
****ed up everything
Reinstalled OS X (not clean)
Now cannot link back to Home Folder

What do I do??!!?!

apple.fiend

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010

Im trying to link back my home folder with is on the HDD to my SSD. The drives are locked and have custom permissions, which I cannot modify. I have given up on trying to fix the SSD, reinstalling OS now. I do have backups of everything. The HDDs are fine, I can see them on my Bootcamp partition and all my files are nice and intact. The problem arrises on the Mac side when theyre locked all the time and linking to a home folder doesn't work.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Oh, so you're saying you can't even get read permission to your old home folder?

apple.fiend

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
I managed to figure it all out. I had a home folder on a separate disk, so after reformatting boot up SSD all I had to do was reinstall apps and I was good to go. However, took sometime to get the boot SSD to link to the home folder on the other HDD. All my hard disks were locked, and had custom permission settings throughout. So had to use terminal commands to reset permissions. All was well after that.

netkas

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
I managed to figure it all out. I had a home folder on a separate disk, so after reformatting boot up SSD all I had to do was reinstall apps and I was good to go. However, took sometime to get the boot SSD to link to the home folder on the other HDD. All my hard disks were locked, and had custom permission settings throughout. So had to use terminal commands to reset permissions. All was well after that.

probably your user-id was changed after reinstall, so you cant access your old files. just do this command to fix you files on ssd

sudo chown -R your_username ./yourhomefolder

edit, meh, you fixed it already

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
I just run my "home folder" drive with "ignore permissions" on.

I probably don't even want to know all the ways it's bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.