Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:53 AM   #126
iansilv
macrumors 6502a

Sprint will not do this. Sprint will let anyone use FaceTime over cellular. If you live in an area where Sprint has good coverage, switch to Sprint. I will be now that Verizon has stated that I cannot keep my unlimited data if I want to purchased a subsidized phone when my contract is up.
iansilv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:53 AM   #127
duddy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlema View Post
We have 700 shared minutes, no text plan and 300MB data per month on each phone
Oh OK. I thought maybe you both had $30 data plans, not the $15 one. Yeah, the new plans would for sure cost more for you.
duddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:56 AM   #128
spacepower7
macrumors 68000

Did it every occur to anyone that that AT&T put this in place to require explicit user comfirmation and acknowledgement of the data usage that the device would incur? It sounds like they are covering their back legally.

Instead of a parent saying omg my child just used their whole data for the month in the first 4 hours, with 29 days left to go?

Didn't read all 5 pages of posts but everyone is making assumptions. So if AT&T was smart they'd clarify the issue. Of course, I won't assume that AT&T is smart or customer friendly.
spacepower7 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:02 AM   #129
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanga View Post
Ohh AT&T, you penny pincher youuu.
They're getting more like Apple everyday. All they worry about is the bottom line.
AppleScruff1 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:09 AM   #130
iMaconApple
macrumors 6502a

the only thing im still with att is my 30$ unlimited data.. dam you att dam you..not that this affects me but this is for others.. facetime over data networks gets chewed up really quick plus att data plans are a joke and prices suck. in other country data is data they let you use how ever you want its part of your plan..
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:10 AM   #131
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Apple is not completely free

*Please correct me if I am wrong

Apple is not completely free of blame here. FaceTime is nothing more then an IP based connection they are doing something in iOS to notify the carrier you are attempting to make a FaceTime call. Apple could just strip that code out and tell AT&T to get bent.
lostngone is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:14 AM   #132
mac1984user
macrumors 6502a

ATT trying to monetize yet another service? Hardly surprising. For all those jumping ship to another carrier, it's just a matter of time before all of them are doing this. To be honest, I'm surprised they haven't tried to 'work out a deal' with Skype to bring an end to both voice and video calls over 3G yet.
mac1984user is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:16 AM   #133
Juan007
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostngone View Post
*Please correct me if I am wrong

Apple is not completely free of blame here. FaceTime is nothing more then an IP based connection they are doing something in iOS to notify the carrier you are attempting to make a FaceTime call. Apple could just strip that code out and tell AT&T to get bent.
You are wrong -- look up "stateful packet inspection". It is as you said just another IP based connection, and can be snooped just like any IP based connection.
Juan007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:21 AM   #134
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan007 View Post
You are wrong -- look up "stateful packet inspection". It is as you said just another IP based connection, and can be snooped just like any IP based connection.
If that is the case why does 3G Unrestrictor, Vtok and Skype work?

I am not saying they couldn't do this but so far they are not(yet).
Also deep packet inspection can be defeated with simple encryption.
lostngone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:22 AM   #135
OtherJesus
macrumors regular

Meh.

Last edited by OtherJesus; Jul 17, 2012 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Personal.
OtherJesus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:26 AM   #136
thekeyring
macrumors 6502a

They sell people data plans and then worry that everyone wants to use their data plans?
thekeyring is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:29 AM   #137
BC2009
macrumors 68000

I can't seem to remember the last time AT&T did something to delight its customers. Best they have done is made some problems of their own causing a little less bad. For example:

- adding cell towers in NYC to make their completely unusable service only kinda unusable

- raising their throttling ceiling from top 5% of users to a minimum of 2 GB to 3GB on 3G and 5GB on 4G when they originally offered unlimited data

- allowing Slingbox app to work over 3G after denying it for no reason even though the app throttled itself on 3G to prevent excessive bandwidth usage

- allowing tethering on iPhone after not allowing it at all, but still requiring an additional fee and giving up your unlimited data plan

So now they are going to allow FaceTime over 3G after blocking it for years but they are going to charge for it. Even their iPad plans are blocking tethering.

What other business can piss on their customers so much and still turn a profit? It's a clear indication of monopoly power being exerted and the DOJ needs to step in. I am regretting my two-year contract and will be shopping for a new carrier if FaceTime becomes an up charge from AT&T.

What's next? Upcharging for Pandora or YouTube?
BC2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:29 AM   #138
Steve.P.JobsFan
macrumors 6502a

The money they receive from "FaceTime over Cellular" subscribers will most likely be used for maintaining the fire in hell.

Oh, and don't forget about their new logo!

Apple TV | 3rd Generation

Last edited by Steve.P.JobsFan; Jul 17, 2012 at 01:36 AM.
Steve.P.JobsFan is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:33 AM   #139
miamialley
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrJ 15 View Post
It's my data, I pay for it, let me use in anyway that I choose!
Quote:
Originally Posted by levitynyc View Post
Data is data....i don't get it.
Yeah, seriously. Imagine if we paid for text messages as data and not text messages? So freaking greedy.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:33 AM   #140
BC2009
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekeyring View Post
They sell people data plans and then worry that everyone wants to use their data plans?
It goes to show just how insufficient their network is. They have no confidence in it.
BC2009 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:35 AM   #141
koban4max
In Time-Out

If you guys have problem with this, talk to Tim Cook. Anyone recall unlock phone? yes? yes? do the same thing. Have bunch of people email Tim.
koban4max is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:36 AM   #142
Mjmar
macrumors 65816

lol at the AT&T statement...
Mjmar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:43 AM   #143
Che Castro
macrumors 601

**** AT&T as a staff, record label, and as a mother ****ing crew
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:47 AM   #144
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

I'm only counting the days until the new iPhone (5) is released and my contract is finished with AT&T. I can't wait to jump ship.
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:50 AM   #145
HMI
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Fees, fees everywhere.

3G Unrestrictor it is then.
It's not a fee; It's a "TAX"
HMI is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:53 AM   #146
FelixDerKater
macrumors 68000

I have a different theory here...

I don't think AT&T is intending to charge for FaceTime. Instead, they probably want people to opt in as a CYA, to be able to say, "We warned you!" when people get huge data bills from having used the service. This allows them to cover bases up front. Call in and be warned that the data usage will be extreme. Then, do as you wish, but don't call them back acting shocked when you get a hefty bill at the end of the month.

Just a theory...
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:54 AM   #147
Kris404
macrumors newbie

Blame Apple

I totally blame Apple for giving in like this to AT&T.

Also, not sure what Mark Gurman meant by FaceTime uses large amounts of data? Talk with numbers please.
Kris404 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:58 AM   #148
Anti-Lucifer
macrumors 6502a

This is the stupidest thing ever.

You have one advanced LTE iphone but you can't use any advance features because it is basically crippled by the carrier.

I stand by my previous threads regarding apple to create their own network for their own iPhone. These carriers are just cock blocking flagrantly. I just wish AT&T would die off and never come back.
Anti-Lucifer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:02 AM   #149
faroZ06
Banned

I'd never even consider doing a video call over 4G, but the idea of restricting what we can use the data for is just stupid.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamialley View Post
Yeah, seriously. Imagine if we paid for text messages as data and not text messages? So freaking greedy.
SMS is a humungous ripoff that I just avoid in hopes that it will slowly die out.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.P.JobsFan View Post
The money they receive from "FaceTime over Cellular" subscribers will most likely be used for maintaining the fire in ****.

Oh, and don't forget about their new logo!

If you don't like their service, don't buy it. It's not about greed.
faroZ06 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 02:05 AM   #150
efktd
macrumors regular

screw you, i'm unlimited b****.
efktd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion