Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
I play many many games on my Macs. I play PowerPC-only games on my Late '04 G5, and any Intel/Universal Binary games on my '10 Mac mini running Lion (and soon Mountain Lion once it releases).

Here are the games I play on my mini:
-AirAttack
-Amnesia: The Dark Descent
-Call of Duty (original)
-Call of Duty 2
-Call of Duty 4
-Call of Duty Black Ops (the second it releases I'll get it from the App Store)
-Doom 3
-Modern Combat: Domination
-NOVA 2
-Prey
-Trine

Here are the games I play on my G5 running Leopard and Tiger (with Classic):
-Alien vs. Predator
-Battlefield 1942
-Max Payne
-Prey
-Quake II
-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
-Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
-Return to Castle Wolfenstein

I also use PCSX to play my PS1 games straight off the disc in my Mac mini. I mainly want a controller for that.

Can anyone recommend a controller that has worked for you in native OS X games, and/or emulators? Tell me about your experiences with game controllers in OS X. Any input appreciated. I'd like to spend anywhere from $20-40 on a gaming solution for my Macs. Preferably for both PowerPC and Intel machines, but Intel-only would be considered...

Also, if anyone can just recommend an adapter for an original console controller I would LOVE that. I've got PS1 controllers, PS2 controllers, original Xbox controllers, Xbox 360 controllers, Sega Genesis controllers, etc... I'm a huge gamer.

Last edited:

softypolimer

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2009
It's depend on your taste like how you like to hold your controller. Most of the controller already works great. I mainly use between PS2 and PS3 controller mainly because MAC have no fighting stick.

PS2 controller - Wired, natively support through adapter
works great on Emu, FPS and modern games

PS3 controller - Wireless, natively support

Xbox 360 controller - Wireless or Wireless, needed some special driver

For emulation geek, You can also get the a usb ready retro nes, snes , md, n64, GC controller or a usb convert adapter, if you already have them. But those thing could be hard to find.

You may need Gamepad Companion (in app store) to play the non-controller support game.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
I'm thinking about just buying this dual-port USB PS2 Adapter and using my current PS2 controllers. Would that work fine in PCSX? I'm reading about it and it seems like it should work fine.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Take a look also at Logitech's website. They have controllers specific for the Mac, and most USB corded controllers will work too

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Take a look also at Logitech's website. They have controllers specific for the Mac, and most USB corded controllers will work too

Just browsed Logitech's Gamepad section of their site and none of the three controllers were OS X compatible, according to their respective pages. Mainly Windows 7.

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
I'm most likely about to order a USB wireless receiver for my Xbox 360 controller, as well as a USB PS2 adapter. Will hit this thread again after testing each one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.