Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nandshah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
Hi there-

I have an ipad1 and want to sync Microsoft Outlook with it. I own a business and receive a lot of email that are stored in different folders. Specifically, I need to be able to view and edit email in those folders. I'd like to know whether Microsoft Exchange is the solution to this or are there alternatives.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Exchange offers folder support but it's certainly not the only option. Outlook is really irrelevant as you're not going to sync your device with the mail client on your desktop. You're going to sync with the mail server. What are you currently using?

nandshah

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
I'm using a pop3 server as of now. Here are my specific questions:

1. Do I need to use an IMAP to connect desktop-server-ipad?
2. Will I be then be able to view and edit folders on the ipad?
3. Will any changes then reflect also on the desktop and vice-versa?
4. What about contacts and calendar, will they be imported as well?

Thanks in advance.

Beelzbub

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2012
I'm using a pop3 server as of now. Here are my specific questions:

1. Do I need to use an IMAP to connect desktop-server-ipad?
2. Will I be then be able to view and edit folders on the ipad?
3. Will any changes then reflect also on the desktop and vice-versa?
4. What about contacts and calendar, will they be imported as well?

Thanks in advance.

Question 1 - No you shouldn't unless Exchange is setup in a different way. If your able to use OWA, (Outlook Web Access), then your fine and there will be no need for IMAP.

Question 2 - Yes, up to 30 days worth. That is the most amount of days the iPad can sync emails.

Question 3 - Yes.

Question 4 - Yes if you choose to do so.

I use an Exchange account on my iPad and it works great. Any change done on the iPad will also show the change on my iPhone and in Outlook, it can be an email, calendar item or new contact. Its always in sync between my 3 devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.