Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
I need to buy a used external IOmega zip drive so that I can transfer files from my old zip disks to CDs. There are lots of them out there on Craigslist, Ebay, etc., but I'm not sure which ones are compatible with my iMac. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I need to buy a used external IOmega zip drive so that I can transfer files from my old zip disks to CDs. There are lots of them out there on Craigslist, Ebay, etc., but I'm not sure which ones are compatible with my iMac. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Take a look at this chart on iomega.com. It should help you in your quest to find a compatible Zip Drive.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
My experience with Zip disks were always good; I never had a bad one. Now floppy disks on the other hand.....

I've had dozens of them fail. Especially over time, they just became unreadable. I seriously doubt any ZIP disk would be readable today.

And, watch out for the Click of Death, that thing, whatever it was, was the first and only hardware virus that I can think of. Start with a bad drive, put a ZIP in it and that disk becomes unreadable. Take that disk and put it into a good drive, and now that drive will corrupt every disk put into it.

The delay to fix this bug, and even the outright refusal to admit it happens tanked the company hard. Eventually they offered to replace the drives, but the replacement drives weren't any better and if you had ONE bad disk, you were screwed.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've had dozens of them fail. Especially over time, they just became unreadable. I seriously doubt any ZIP disk would be readable today.

And, watch out for the Click of Death, that thing, whatever it was, was the first and only hardware virus that I can think of. Start with a bad drive, put a ZIP in it and that disk becomes unreadable. Take that disk and put it into a good drive, and now that drive will corrupt every disk put into it.

The delay to fix this bug, and even the outright refusal to admit it happens tanked the company hard. Eventually they offered to replace the drives, but the replacement drives weren't any better and if you had ONE bad disk, you were screwed.

Oh yes, the click of death. I never had that happen to me, but I knew all about it. It wasn't a hardware virus, it was a defect in the drive.

Steve Gibson from the Gibson Research Corporation has a whole bit and even a TV appearance on the Screen Savers.

The Cause of the Clicking
Iomega Zip and Jaz drives cause Click Of Death by incorrectly writing to their removable media. This miswriting can damage the user's data, the factory-written low-level formatting, the head's positioning servo information, and the proprietary "Z-Tracks" that are used internally to manage and maintain the Zip and Jaz drive's cartridge data.

The clicking sound itself is nothing more than the sound of the heads being retracted from the cartridge into the drive then immediately reinserted. This deliberate strategy is employed by the drive when it is having trouble locating, reading, or writing any of the cartridge's data. This removal and reinsertion of the heads recalibrates the head positioning mechanism, "scrubs" the heads to remove excessive oxide deposits, and eliminates electrostatic charge build-up on the heads.

It is VERY IMPORTANT for you to understand that the clicking sound itself is NOT the problem. The clicking is just an audible indication of a drive that is having trouble accessing the data on a cartridge.

So for example, if a cartridge that was clicking in one drive is inserted into another where it also clicks, this DOES NOT MEAN that this second drive has now been somehow infected by Click Death. It only means that the damage that was done to the cartridge -- probably BY the first drive -- has now made the cartridge unreadable by any other drive, which will also "click" as it tries to access the damaged cartridge's data.

Incidents of Click Death have been linked to bad external power supplies, loose power connectors, excessive magnetic oxide build-up on the drive's heads, magnetic and radio interference from nearby sources, media damage from excessive wear or mistreatment, and a seemingly endless array of internal electrical and mechanical problems from causes ranging from excessively rough handling of portable drives through defective original manufacturing.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Steve Gibson from the Gibson Research Corporation has a whole bit and even a TV appearance on the Screen Savers.

Nice summary there.

When a disk starts shedding oxide, it becomes unreadable, causing the drive to retry the same area of the disk. As the disk spins while shedding oxide, it tends to burnish that oxide onto the drive heads. That burnished oxide is much harder to remove, and causes subsequent disks to become unreadable (or marginally readable). The burnished oxide on the heads also tends to damage the surface of subsequent disks. And the disk that was originally shedding oxide gets inserted into another drive, where it sheds more oxide, burnishing another set of heads, etc. It was the closest thing to a hardware "virus" I can remember.

In olden days, when hard disks were stacks of removable 14" disks in a drive the size and shape of a washing machine, a head-crash could do something similar, only much more quickly. One head would hit one platter, and plow up a bunch of oxide. That oxide would then circulate very rapidly withing the confines of the platter stack, and crash other heads in a cascade.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Oh yes, the click of death. I never had that happen to me, but I knew all about it. It wasn't a hardware virus, it was a defect in the drive.

I should have been more clear, I know it wasn't hardware virus but it sure the hell acted like one. And yes, you can, 100% sure spread it from one zip drive to another. We had a few dozen of those drives at my office. When the CoD came in from a zip drive, within a few days EVERY single ZIP drive in the company not only had the click, but would start corrupting disks itself. Not one drive survived, we ended up having to throw them ALL away. They may say it would start the second drive clicking but not make it corrupt; that might be true at first, but it most certainly did after some usage. I would argue that in itself it didn't cause the problem but it definitely brought it around very rapidly.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Those Zip Drives were very unreliable when new, I'd bet the disks are most likely unreadable today."

I bought a ZIP 100 SCSI drive when they were just out, seems like it was back around 1995 or so.

I'm typing this on my trusty PowerMac g4/MDD which I've had since 2004. It has an SCSI card installed, but I don't use it any more.

Recently, I decided to try my old ZIP drive, to "clean out" the old remaining ZIP disks I still had left.

They all still mounted, even though they hadn't been used in years. In fact, THE VERY FIRST ZIP disk I ever used from 16 years ago mounts up just fine.

Just my experience. YMMV.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
I had a zip 100 drive back in the day. Thought it was great, but that was prior to plug 'n play, so the Windows driver nightmare was always there whenever you wanted to take your data with you.

Never lost data, but I really only used the things for about 2 years.

Biggest problem I would see to using one now is that they came out before USB existed. Mine was an old RS-232 style PC serial port connector. Mmmmmm. Slow.

Newmacer2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Denver Colorado
Thanks

Thanks everyone. I'm thinking you all just saved me a bunch of grief. I'd really like to get back those files, but it's not worth risking my Mac. Thanks again.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Thanks everyone. I'm thinking you all just saved me a bunch of grief. I'd really like to get back those files, but it's not worth risking my Mac. Thanks again.

I don't think there's any risk to your Mac, unless the zip drive requires installing driver software*. The main risk is to your wallet; you could spend money, get a working drive, and still be unable to read the data.

As to "which drive", does your iMac have Firewire or USB? Get a drive that connects with Firewire or USB, whichever one your iMac has.

* Although the IOMega website says "driver software" is provided on optical media, it's conceivable that no drivers are needed, if the zip drive supports normal USB mass-storage protocols. I would try connecting the drive without installing drivers first.

samh

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2009
Those Zip Drives were very unreliable when new, I'd bet the disks are most likely unreadable today.

Be that as it may, there will never be a better time to attempt to get that data archived than right now. It's only going to get worse. So, better to try now than wait even longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.