Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:16 PM   #1
peterpotter
macrumors newbie

Pico Projector with my iPad?

Hey guys,

Usually im on the road for business trips and whatnot, so really my only form of entertainment is my iPad and my lenovo x220. Both of these screens are around 10" so it's not exactly the best setup. I was thinking of getting a pico projector that can mirror both my laptop and my ipad, specifically these 2:

AAXA P4-X: http://www.amazon.com/AAXA-P4X-Proje...words=aaxa+p4x

Optoma PK320: http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-PK320-P...s=optoma+pk301

Have any of you had any experience with these? They seem like pretty good products, but what I'm really concerned about is if 100 lumens is bright enough for presenting to 15-20 people?
peterpotter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:21 PM   #2
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

In the dark, yes . In any kind of business setting with a reasonable amount of overhead lighting, no. You need a real projector for anthing more than personal viewing.

You need at least 1500 lumens and better off with 2000+. I don't touch projectors unless they are at least 2500 personally.
paulrbeers is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:21 PM   #3
peterpotter
macrumors newbie

Hey paulrbeers, thanks for the reply. I was doing some research myself and came up with this video. It's a review of the aaxa m2 model that states it has 110 lumens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3vhyX9PfbQ

I also saw a couple of videos of projectors that have around 2000 lumens. The difference is pretty insane, but what I'm asking myself is if I really need it to be that bright for a simple presentation. For instance, most conferences I've gone to already dim their lights quite a bit for any presentation.

Considering this, it seems plausible for me to just have a smaller projector, either pico or micro, that will make it easier for me to carry around than a larger projector, despite the brightness. Have you had any experience with this? In a conference room setting, I mean.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:56 PM   #4
SpinalTap
macrumors regular

The Vivitek Qumi is worth investigating - http://www.myqumi.com/
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:16 PM   #5
peterpotter
macrumors newbie

That Qumi is definitely a nice projector. It does 3d too! But I dunno if I can spend 500 bucks on a projector right now...either I'm going to have to stretch my budget or just make do with something inside my budget. I'm going to take a look at the two projectors I was considering and see if they'll be enough.

Do any of you know where I can go to maybe test some units out? I can't find a B&M store that carries them

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater