Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndreAudi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
CT
Is it because apple products are expensive when new or is it cause of the name? Both?

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Is it because apple products are expensive when new or is it cause of the name? Both?

It might be partially because the initial price is higher, but I think it has more to do with the brand and the build quality. I have a perfectly great 2009 20" iMac that is still running perfectly and will be able to run Mountain Lion when it is released. If I was to sell it, there would be someone more than willing to buy my computer with a 3TB HDD and 8GB of RAM for more than they would probably pay for a Windows or Linux based computer with similar specs.

My iMac was shipped with OS X Leopard, then I was able to upgrade to Snow Leopard and then Lion. Now OS X Mountain Lion is being released that my computer will also run. How many manufacturers can say that their computers would be able to remain functional and usable after 4 operating system update cycles?

I bought a Gateway compeer in 2008 that was shipped with Vista that(according to Microsoft) would not run Windows 7 very well. I also had a Compaq tower that was shipped with XP that I bought in 2005 that was not upgradeable to Vista, let alone Windows 7.

There's also the added benefit of multiple use licenses for Apple software.

Last edited:

AndreAudi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
CT
It might be partially because the initial price is higher, but I think it has more to do with the brand and the build quality. I have a perfectly great 2009 20" iMac that is still running perfectly and will be able to run Mountain Lion when it is released. If I was to sell it, there would be someone more than willing to buy my computer with a 3TB HDD and 8GB of RAM for more than they would probably pay for a Windows or Linux based computer with similar specs.

Hmm interesting I forgot to even think of build quality.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Hmm interesting I forgot to even think of build quality.

Even though people that don't like Apple make fun of them stating that they build the hardware and write the software for a better computing experience, the fact that they do that really does optimize the system.

I always compared this to car manufacturers. I'm sure many people can think of cars that were designed and put together by various teams and companies in order to cut cost and sell more of them. There are also those cars that are designed and built by one company that are amazing machines that long outlive other cars as far as usefulness and also retain value better. These companies that design and manufacture their cars generally have a better reputation and that is well deserved.

One thing that shows this is that if you run Windows in boot camp on a Mac notebook, battery life decreases simply because the Windows OS is not optimized for use on the Mac.

Lance-AR

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2012
Little Rock, AR
I think it's a combination of brand recognition plus limited model selection means easier open market pricing plus quality equals value retention.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I really think that apple products are worth the price. You get phenomenal products, software, support (minimal wait times, understanding phone agents, 300+ stores worldwide you can get your products serviced at, such as if you are traveling).

Got a problem with your iPhone while vacationing in Germany? No problem.
If you got that with an htc, well, good luck.

Sadly these things are often overlooked. I admit, I overlooked it years ago too.

But when you think about it ... It's actually really awesome.

AndreAudi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
CT
I really think that apple products are worth the price. You get phenomenal products, software, support (minimal wait times, understanding phone agents, 300+ stores worldwide you can get your products serviced at, such as if you are traveling).

Got a problem with your iPhone while vacationing in Germany? No problem.
If you got that with an htc, well, good luck.

Sadly these things are often overlooked. I admit, I overlooked it years ago too.

But when you think about it ... It's actually really awesome.
Almost instant service at any store is deff one of the top reasons i would think. And your right many of those are overlooked.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
The fixed price model does have a lot to do with it, but it's not every Apple product, I'm hoping my MBP 17" (last production run of it's kind) will fall into the category of "Collectable" or retain enough of it's value to justify me turning down a couple of sales recently...I may have sold it if Apple had a viable 17" upgrade...They don't. The rMBP as technologically advanced as it is just isn't for me...I need tea-estate. Machines like the G series and some of the old PPC stuff have developed a kind of cult status, pushing up second hand value way beyond what the machines are actually work

The quality of Apple's products coupled with the ability to "sell on" AC with your machine makes them more attractive to buyers, but the people who top buy tend to be Apple owners or those who have used Apple products in the past. Buddies who still use Windows based machines would never consider paying even a fair second hand price for the likes of my MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.