Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gladoscc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
This noon, my iPhone suddenly showed 'Activation Required'. I'm on iOS 6 beta 1 legit. However, I cannot activate my phone, it says that "Your iPhone could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable.

I tried connecting it to iTunes, says the software has expired and must be outdated. But when I try to update it, I get:

"iTunes could not back up the phone [blah] because a session could not be started by the iPhone"

My iPhone 4 is brought outright, it is out of warranty. I'm a registered apple developer, only have 2 udids, my iPhone and my iPad.

How to I activate / update my phone?

Last edited:

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
You do realize betas expire after a period of time so after a set period of time the betas deactivate meaning you have to update. Currently we are on Beta 3 so beta 1 is very out of date and obviously will be locked by now.

You have to update via iTunes using option-upgrade or shift-upgrade depending on your system after you download beta 3. And make sure to keep up to date, it's very easy you can just update over the air.

If you didn't know betas expire then you shouldn't of been using it to begin with.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
you don't have to.

Indeed.

The beta can be installed from Windows, so there's absolutely no need to have Xcode.

----------

I tried connecting it to iTunes, says the software has expired and must be outdated. But when I try to update it, I get:

"iTunes could not back up the phone [blah] because a session could not be started by the iPhone"

As it's running a beta that has expired, the device is currently in a state where the portion of the OS that handles syncing is disabled.

You're going to have to do a restore in DFU mode to get it working again.

-Plug your phone in to your computer with iTunes open.
-Switch the phone off
-Hold the power and home buttons for 10 seconds
-Let go of the power button, but keep holding the home button until iTunes gives you a message saying that the iPhone is in recovery mode

You can either install the latest iOS 6.0 beta, or the stable iOS 5.1.1 release using this method

NOTE: This will result in all data on the device being erased. If you have a backup, it can only be put onto a fresh install of that iOS version or newer (i.e. if you have an iOS 6.0 backup, it can only be installed on a device with iOS 6.0 or newer).

In the future, install the latest iOS beta as soon as you can. Ideally, you wouldn't install it on a device that you actually use regularly - but that's not going to be possible for most people.

CyberJoe

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
Same problem and even worse

Hey Guys have the worst case scenario here.

A Month Ago or so my Dev account has expired, I did downloaded and installed ios 6 beta previously, and now because beta 2 is expired I can't use it, nor can I upgrade to beta 3 because I do not have dev account anymore.

Even worse, when I tried to downgrade to ios 5.1 in DFU mode, it says that I am not eligible to do that, which is strange...
Basically stuck on not working ios 6 beta 2, and can't do anything.

Any ideas? :(

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Re-activate your DEV account (or start one up for the first time).

Hey Guys have the worst case scenario here.

A Month Ago or so my Dev account has expired, I did downloaded and installed ios 6 beta previously, and now because beta 2 is expired I can't use it, nor can I upgrade to beta 3 because I do not have dev account anymore.

Even worse, when I tried to downgrade to ios 5.1 in DFU mode, it says that I am not eligible to do that, which is strange...
Basically stuck on not working ios 6 beta 2, and can't do anything.

Any ideas? :(

TOOFY

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Long Awhlandddd, NY
It's very clear the OP is a registered beta-gotta-have-the-latest-and-greatest-software-developer. Pay 100$ and get apples latest software. If u don't know as a " developer " that the software actually has a timer on them - u sir are not a developer. It's OK to say that you just bought the developer package so u can get the software. No worries :) I do the same too!

CyberJoe

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
Guys, it's pretty simple, I was developing apps for ios for about a year, and now I am not developing them anymore, as I do apps for other platforms, I waited patiently for my dev account to expire as I do not need it anymore. So I do not need to pay 100$. I do not need beta 3, I need my phone with ios 5.

What I was hoping is to get back on ios 5.1 as soon as my beta expires, but I can't.

CyberJoe

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
Re-activate your DEV account (or start one up for the first time).

It seems like a last thing to do, as I do not need a dev account anymore, and problem is, in order to by dev account from country I live in, I need lot's of papers send via fax, and purchase will take about a week, it's really pain in the ass.

Basically why should I? isn't there a peaceful way to stop being a developer, and become a user instead? Why can't I downgrade?

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Just seems odd to me that you knew your developer account was expiring last month? What a day after beta 2? Yet you installed it anyway?

It shouldn't be that hard to connect to iTunes and do a restore anyway.
Just select an old backup.

It seems like a last thing to do, as I do not need a dev account anymore, and problem is, in order to by dev account from country I live in, I need lot's of papers send via fax, and purchase will take about a week, it's really pain in the ass.

Basically why should I? isn't there a peaceful way to stop being a developer, and become a user instead? Why can't I downgrade?

CyberJoe

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
Well I installed ios6, two months prior, because I was sure downgrading will not be problem.

I tried manually installing it, but I get "You are not eligible to install ios 5.1" for some very strange reason.Completely lost here. :( It starts extracting archive, and then checks with apple server, and stops installation.

SHESHELL04

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
:)
indeed.

The beta can be installed from windows, so there's absolutely no need to have xcode.

----------

as it's running a beta that has expired, the device is currently in a state where the portion of the os that handles syncing is disabled.

You're going to have to do a restore in dfu mode to get it working again.

-plug your phone in to your computer with itunes open.
-switch the phone off
-hold the power and home buttons for 10 seconds
-let go of the power button, but keep holding the home button until itunes gives you a message saying that the iphone is in recovery mode

you can either install the latest ios 6.0 beta, or the stable ios 5.1.1 release using this method

note: This will result in all data on the device being erased. If you have a backup, it can only be put onto a fresh install of that ios version or newer (i.e. If you have an ios 6.0 backup, it can only be installed on a device with ios 6.0 or newer).

In the future, install the latest ios beta as soon as you can. Ideally, you wouldn't install it on a device that you actually use regularly - but that's not going to be possible for most people.

wow thanks for this, im in the uk and ive been sat up for hours trying to fix this, apple support are as much use as a chocolate tea pot haha :d thanks again

Gerart

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
A dev that doesn't update the beta to test his app?

Hey Gngan!... can you be NICER?.. you are not a machine aren't you? –I'll remind you first of all, that you are HUMAN first than anything else. We the real crazy apple developers made mistakes as well as any one in this planet. So, next time, just do not try to be arrogant and keep your humbleness on.

And yes, Macingman, you are totally right! –and Humble! that's the way how Gladoscc needs to be fixing his iOS6 issue.

–Good luck Macingman! you will fix this for sure..

Water11110

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
Restoring iOS 6

Gladoscc,

I too had the same problem, but I found a solution.
First, download the new Redsn0w and make a custom DFU ISPW file to use for iTunes. (Execute Redsn0w as Administrator, then press Extras--> More Extras--> DFU ISPW, then select your firmware[6.0 only])
Once you have created this, Shift-Update the iPhone using the same DFU ISPW file and it should act like it's restoring. Afterwards, it should be a black screen and should be recognized by iTunes and Redsn0w.
At this point, you can manually update it with Redsn0w and jailbreak your phone, or you can use a clean, new, ISPW for iTunes to restore it with.

Hope this helps!

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Gladoscc,

I too had the same problem, but I found a solution.
First, download the new Redsn0w and make a custom DFU ISPW file to use for iTunes. (Execute Redsn0w as Administrator, then press Extras--> More Extras--> DFU ISPW, then select your firmware[6.0 only])
Once you have created this, Shift-Update the iPhone using the same DFU ISPW file and it should act like it's restoring. Afterwards, it should be a black screen and should be recognized by iTunes and Redsn0w.
At this point, you can manually update it with Redsn0w and jailbreak your phone, or you can use a clean, new, ISPW for iTunes to restore it with.

Hope this helps!

Dude you're late lmao iOS 6 came out like 2 months ago he made this in July.

iPhoneUnlockCR

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
Solution!!! This error can be fixed

Well, i had this problem for about two weeks and my head was going crazy so i google for the solution and noting works but i found a this guy and he said he can fix it, this guy was my last chance so i took his email and contact him, he told me about the problem and ask my for some info and the payment, i sent all what he asked and about 8 hours later i can activate my iPhone with any sim, if you want the contact you can contact me using the PM option

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.