Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Last night I was using my MacBook downstairs. I had run it down to about 15 mins of battery and then plugged it in. Not long after I headed upstairs and plugged it in at my desk like always. The green light wouldn't come on, which is not unusual. I typically give it a little wiggle and it will start, or at least say it's charging (it's done that with both chargers since new). Last night nothing I did would get it to charge. With about 9 minutes of battery remaining, I shut it down. I started to browse threads here and found the link to the SMC reset. I decided to see what happened before losing that 9 minutes of battery life!

I did the first step of removing the battery while everything was unplugged and when I put it all back together it started to charge again.

So now what? I didn't do the SMC reset. Should I? Could this be a fluke or is there something else going wrong? My charger shows no signs of fraying, the battery does say replace soon.

While I'm glad I don't have to go to the Apple Store today I'm almost afraid to unplug it!

Late 2008 unibody MacBook running Snow Leopard

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Tunrs out it was just the charger - the magsafe end was spinning in the casing but with no outward signs of damage. Could have been much more expensive. <whew!>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.