Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:59 AM   #1
Puevlo
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
The new iMacs will have RAM soldered on. You can count on that

There is no doubt in my mind that the new iMac computers will have the RAM soldered onto the logic board. It's the natural evolution of where Apple are heading with their computers. The less upgradeable the computer is the quicker people will need to upgrade thus making more money for Apple.

You will all laugh now but come back to this thread in a month when you're all crying. Then you'll see. It's only a matter of time.
Puevlo is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:59 AM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
With certainty like that you should play the lottery.
__________________
Because I'm a smartass.
GoCubsGo is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:00 AM   #3
MacDawg
macrumors P6
 
MacDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: "Between the Hedges"
Not likely
MacDawg is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:02 AM   #4
TurnTronics
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
 
Unless they change the form factor and make it significantly thinner (which would be pretty difficult to do considering how tight everything is already) I don't see why they would solder the RAM on an iMac.
TurnTronics is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:02 AM   #5
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020
 
charlieegan3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: U.K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puevlo View Post
You will all laugh now but come back to this thread in a month when you're all crying. Then you'll see. It's only a matter of time.
Don't like this tone, what makes you the big expert?
charlieegan3 is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:03 AM   #6
lozpop
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
We don't know if we will ever see a new iMac again, and you talk about the soldered RAM?

Just kidding — or maybe not?
__________________
iMac 27" 2012 MacBook Air 13" 2012 iPhone 5 iPad
lozpop is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:07 AM   #7
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieegan3 View Post
Don't like this tone, what makes you the big expert?
Because he was granted the power of the "NEW THREAD" button!
__________________
Because I'm a smartass.
GoCubsGo is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:10 AM   #8
Redbeard25
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Red face

The new iMacs will have power cords that are not removable.
__________________
MacBookPro9,1(work), MacBookAir4,2, iPhone 4 S⃣ 16GB, iMac7,1, iPad 3,1, iPod 80GB, iPod4,1 (8G) TV3,1 x 2, PBK 165c, 512K Mac
Redbeard25 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:13 AM   #9
Mister Bumbo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
I'm not laughing at your statement, more the fact that you think we should regard "your mind" as a legit source. ^^
Mister Bumbo is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:13 AM   #10
12dylan34
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
You may or may not know, but this guy is always starting threads and leaving comments like this. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
12dylan34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:21 AM   #11
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnTronics View Post
Unless they change the form factor and make it significantly thinner (which would be pretty difficult to do considering how tight everything is already) I don't see why they would solder the RAM on an iMac.
Agreed. Also, if you think about it, the memory goes into the thinnest part of the iMac already. If they make that part any thinner, it will affect airflow and cooling.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:22 AM   #12
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puevlo View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that the new iMac computers will have the RAM soldered onto the logic board. It's the natural evolution of where Apple are heading with their computers. The less upgradeable the computer is the quicker people will need to upgrade thus making more money for Apple.

You will all laugh now but come back to this thread in a month when you're all crying. Then you'll see. It's only a matter of time.
You make a totally wrong and totally unjustified assumption about Apple's motives. RAM is soldered on the Retina MBP because it always Apple to save space, which is at a premium in that device. No other reason.

You also get Apple's business strategy completely wrong. Trying to make more money from customers is a strategy that has backfired for many, many companies and Apple knows that. For the last twelve years or so Apple has maintained a consistent strategy where the most important thing is to create products that the customers want. Apple would have to be run by complete morons to think that a strategy that as you say makes their customers cry would make money in the long term, when the completely opposite strategy has turned them from not even profitable to the world's most profitable company in twelve years.
gnasher729 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:59 AM   #13
old-wiz
macrumors 604
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Suburban Boston Ma
The RAM on the MBA and rMBP is soldered on to save space. They don't need to save space that much on the iMac. I see no credible reason for Apple to go to soldered RAM on an iMac.
old-wiz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:12 AM   #14
Seamaster
macrumors 6502a
 
Seamaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Apple know soldered RAM is no big deal. Away from this forum, what percentage of real world customers ever upgrade RAM during the lifetime of a Mac? I bet it's in the single figures.
__________________
MacBook Air 13" 128GB | iPad mini 16GB | iPhone 4S 16GB | Time Capsule 2TB | Apple TV 3
Seamaster is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:19 AM   #15
Mike Valmike
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lozpop View Post
We don't know if we will ever see a new iMac again, and you talk about the soldered RAM?
This response wins all the things.
Mike Valmike is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:20 AM   #16
IPlayFair
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Where's the down botton?
IPlayFair is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:21 AM   #17
ericrwalker
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albany, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
Apple know soldered RAM is no big deal. Away from this forum, what percentage of real world customers ever upgrade RAM during the lifetime of a Mac? I bet it's in the single figures.
I have to agree, probably extremely low.

Not to mention now the retina macs come with 8gb or 16gb. Both are more than enough for most people. I have always upgraded my ram in the past because I would purposely buy the lowest amount of ram, since computer companies overcharge for upgrades.

Apple is selling the upgrade to 16gb at a decent price if you ask me. (though I plan to go with 8 since it's more than enough)
ericrwalker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:30 AM   #18
sukai
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I can see them doing this to the ram but at the same time why would they want totake the only customizable with easy access on their mac? I don't think the will do that. If anything they should lower the priceson ram(kind of hard to believe that too lol) but who knows.
sukai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:47 AM   #19
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816
 
Nightarchaon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
I have been thinking this is how the 2012 iMacs will go for a while, All solid state, potenially no CD/DVD drive, they could make the whole iMac thinner than the macbook air as the screen is embedded in the device rather than being "the lid", apple will introduce it as the iMac Air lol
__________________
iWatch in action http://media.joe.ie/wp-content/uploa...ael-Knight.jpg
MacBook Pro/iPad Mini/TV1/iMac/iPhone5
Nightarchaon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:39 AM   #20
Bendrix
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
So you think it's gonna become like a big iPad on a stand? Or a unibody retina MBP sans keyboard on a stand? I can kinda see that. The continued convergence of all Apple hardware and software. The post-PC era.
Bendrix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:54 AM   #21
LaWally
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
I see no credible reason for Apple to go to soldered RAM on an iMac.
Well, for one, Apple would reap the monetary benefits of all memory upgrades, many of which now go to third parties. If the average memory upgrade costs $100 and you charge $200 and you sell 5M iMacs, that's a cool $1B in added revenue at a 100% gross profit margin.
LaWally is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:22 PM   #22
dearlaserworks
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Eastern Shore, USA
And why don't they solder the 4GB on the current models? I'd be happy to see them solder 4 to 8GB and leave only two slots for upgrades.
dearlaserworks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:33 PM   #23
alksion
macrumors 65816
 
alksion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles County
Send a message via Skype™ to alksion
If this was the case, which I certainly do not believe to be true, then I will most definitely be building a PC workstation.
__________________
When life gives you lemons, eat an apple.
alksion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:37 PM   #24
Razorhog
macrumors 6502a
 
Razorhog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arkansas
I call total BS on this thread.
Razorhog is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:50 PM   #25
davidgnomo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: My place !
Please imagine me pushing a downvote button ...
davidgnomo is offline   19 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iFixit Tears Down New iMacs, Finds Soldered CPU on 21.5" Model MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 178 Oct 2, 2013 12:33 PM
rMBP Soldered RAM faster and more efficient than Removable RAM? renosausage MacBook Pro 17 Apr 23, 2013 11:27 PM
Soldered RAM in a rMBP Pared3s MacBook Pro 6 Apr 22, 2013 07:33 PM
After all the waiting, what if everything is soldered on the new iMacs? rawdawg iMac 10 Sep 17, 2012 07:55 AM
RAM is soldered in RMBP insimbi MacBook Pro 7 Jun 14, 2012 04:08 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC