Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iNewbie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
You know how there are these Blue-Ray players that upscale DVD's to 1080p? Is there a way to do something similar via the ripping/encoding process?

I know it's not true "Blu-Ray" or anything, but I've heard some of these upscalers are decent and was just wondering if there was a way to do that with encodes.

Thanks

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
You know how there are these Blue-Ray players that upscale DVD's to 1080p? Is there a way to do something similar via the ripping/encoding process?

I know it's not true "Blu-Ray" or anything, but I've heard some of these upscalers are decent and was just wondering if there was a way to do that with encodes.

Thanks

well with a SD DVD you can rip with high settings that will make it look better than ripping with normal settings but i dont think you can make a SD DVD higher than 720x528

stordoff

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2009
You can, but you will get nowhere near Blu Ray quality, and it's rather involved. You need to mess around with various sharpening etc. filters until you find a combination that works (Example).

Most of the time, it really isn't worth it.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

Thanks

Yes you can "upscale" the encode of DVD's but why? You aren't actually adding any real value and it just ends up taking up more space. Your TV will automatically upscale to it's native resolution, so I guess I never really see the need. Maybe someone else has a different opinion....

iNewbie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
hmmm

Thanks for the info guys! I appreciate it.

The reason why I'm wondering is that I'm going to be putting a projector in soon with a 106 inch screen. My understanding is that DVD's will look a little weak on that while bue-ray will look the best. Since I have so many DVD's I'm trying to extend their life and look as good on the projector as possible.

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
You wont gain any extra quality in upscaling. Let your projector do this. You're better off ripping the DVD and not re-encoding at all.

You can't make a DVD look like a Bluray. The data isn't there in the first place.

Last edited:

iNewbie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
You wont gain any extra quality in upscaling. Let your projector do this. You're better off ripping the DVD and not re-encoding at all.

You can't make a DVD look like a Bluray. The data isn't there in the first place.

Thanks. appreciate that. works for me. but still, if I just rip I guess I'm not sure what I would use to play the dvd disc image. I'd think encoding is still preferred to strip out ads... warnings.. etc... then be available to play through apple tv or plex or xbmc right?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
I'd think encoding is still preferred to strip out ads... warnings.. etc... then be available to play through apple tv or plex or xbmc right?
Both plex and xbmc can play a straight ripped dvd. For appleTV you need to transcode it.

Edit: and yes, there is *no* benefit in upscaling upon encoding. The best you will do is have physically much larger file with about the same visual quality as if you were to upscale it on encode. As was said best to let the playback device upscale the originally sized encode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.