Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Recent stylus article on the Verge notes that stylus's are the top selling tablet accessories. The number and variation of products and vendors show that someone is putting a lot of thought into writing on the ipad and other capcitative tablets. Still, capacitative stylus's can't really compete with wacom active digitization pens availible on some android and windows tablets. Does the ipad need active digitazation? Is it likely this feature will be included in ipad 4?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I bought a stylus for use with my iPad, but I haven't ever used it.

It may have some use for artists and people who intend to draw a lot on the iPad, but for people who are reading books, playing videos, composing emails, surfing the web, etc., it's probably not of any use.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
i use my stylus a lot when writing notes, and annotating pdf files. So much faster and easier than a finger.

as compared to a captive setup, wacoom and bamboo is way more precise and less latency. Idk the surface was going to have one like that. That is awesome. I cant wait to try one out. I wish microsoft would have been more detailed about release dates, prices, battery etc.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
They're only useful for drawing or handwriting notes. I've never needed one.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I've tried a few different styli and have settled on the iFaraday RX II as one that works well for me. I use it for note taking, sketching and filling in forms. The rest of the time a finger works well.

It would be nice if the digitizer were more precise and if there were a way to make it pressure sensitive.

I wonder if it might not be sufficient to open up the API to allow for high precision third party digitizers. This way the iPad as is works fine for most people but third parties can compete to develop interesting hardware for those who need it.

There is at least one active digitizer for iPad now which shows what is possible.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ipen/ipen-the-first-active-stylus-for-ipad

kasu

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2012
my two cents...

Apart from the normal iPad activities like watching movies, reading books, browsing internet, I do use it for taking notes during my client meetigns. I am a technology consultant and I tend to manage projects (design and development).

For a lot of notes taking, you would definitely need a 'proper' pen like stylus. I tried foam-tipped stylii but i was disappointed. I personally feel those are meant for casual writers and for artists but definitely not for serious note-taking.

I did find the iPen but did not pursue as it has its own USB attachment and it required developers to develop the apps for their product/api.So didn't like that dependency and also its not cheap.

So, I tried JotPro and stopped searching for the stylus. Its fantastic :) I love my jotpro. its cool... Word of caution though - dont use it without a screen protector as the dust in the air might get trapped in teh disc and scratch your ipad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.