Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PlanetExp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
I have the opportunity to buy a macbook air in the weekend, but not after. Is it wise to hold off a couple of days so I get mountain lion at the same go or is the upgrade process so seamless it won't matter?

Thanks
Fred

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
On a clean OSX build installed on a current Mac model the upgrade should be completely painless.

PlanetExp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
Thanks you. I think it's just the thought of having a clean installed system and get the montain lion thumbstick with the air is better than having the lion version then upgrade if there's a reinstall needed (if that ever will happen true).

But I'll guess I pull the trigger in the weekend. I'll get the 11 version since I want portability but sadly I will do lots of music and sheet music writing so I'll be mostly working on a second screen when not on the go (which is yet another investment. But I think I will just simply have to test this setup out).

Thanks
Fred

MacReloaded

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Canada
Thanks you. I think it's just the thought of having a clean installed system and get the montain lion thumbstick with the air is better than having the lion version then upgrade if there's a reinstall needed (if that ever will happen true).

But I'll guess I pull the trigger in the weekend. I'll get the 11 version since I want portability but sadly I will do lots of music and sheet music writing so I'll be mostly working on a second screen when not on the go (which is yet another investment. But I think I will just simply have to test this setup out).

Thanks
Fred

There's no more recovery thumbdrive anymore. You reinstall from the recovery partition or the internet recovery in the EFI.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
There's no more recovery thumbdrive anymore. You reinstall from the recovery partition or the internet recovery in the EFI.

I have one of the early ML developer previews. (Too busy to go get the GM). I made my own usb stick using the same method I used to make myself a Lion stick. It still works. If you purchase ML, be sure to make yourself a stuck using installESD.dmg (inside the app) before allowing it to install and auto-delete its own install app, leaving you with the recovery partition / internet recovery as your only option to get up and running in the event of a disastrophe.

Dviper27

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2012
Might aswell

Might aswell just go for it. ML sounds like it is going to be a pointless upgrade anyways

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.