Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keerf

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Hi All,

I've gone through a few threads (quite a few to be honest), and I can't seem to get a yes or no answer.

I just got a macbook pro 2012 (non retina), and bought a Samsung 830 512gb drive for it. I did a fresh install on the drive last night, and then I used Trim Enabler.

Do I need to enable Trim on a samsung drive? If I do enable trim (which I did), will it cause issues?

Thanks for any help!

appletechpro

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Hi All,

I've gone through a few threads (quite a few to be honest), and I can't seem to get a yes or no answer.

I just got a macbook pro 2012 (non retina), and bought a Samsung 830 512gb drive for it. I did a fresh install on the drive last night, and then I used Trim Enabler.

Do I need to enable Trim on a samsung drive? If I do enable trim (which I did), will it cause issues?

Thanks for any help!

It makes sense to enable TRIM on Samsung SSDs due to Apple enabling TRIM on its Samsung SSD modules in the newest generation of MBPs.

keerf

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
TRIM is good. So enabling is a good thing.

You actually should have TRIM enabled. It will improve the performance and lifespan of your SSD by definition.

Read up a little more if you're interested.

Hi Auzburner,

Thanks for the reply (and obviously everyone else so far). I was kind of confused on the Samsung, and also since Trim isn't set by default and you have to make some hacks. I was a little leery.

I will leave it enabled, I assume no ill effects from the latest version of Trim Enabler, or having trim setup period on a non apple *branded* ssd.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
TRIM is a good idea for Samsung SSDs, only drives with Sandforce controller don't necessarily need it.

garstudios

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2012
if i have an ssd in the optical bay of my 2012 mbp and an hdd in the main bay....does trim still work the way its suppose to on the ssd with out messing with the hdd....if i use the trim enabler app

kidstretch

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2011
is trim needed on the crucial m4 ssds?
i ordered the 256 gb model, was wondering if i need to enable trim on my new 2012 non retina 15" mb.
also, if i need to enable it, what's the way to go?
i read about an app that does that but it doesn't work so good and needs to be re applied if you update the os. is it better to do it with a terminal command?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.